• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC submission ideas you rejected rather than send.

mmadsen

First Post
Re: Re: Re: WotC submission ideas you rejected rather than send.

Hereos - The guys who bash stuff with elemental magic. Bash bash!
Villians - Evil rulers of the elment kingdoms. They're EVIL! Booo! They fight each other to drive the plot.
Unique - Its like Planescape, only smaller!

I suspect that's how most of the entries will read -- only with pretentious "fantasy" writing in place of self-deprecating humor. I mean, in what setting aren't the heroes guys who bash stuff with [setting's cool powers]? And when aren't the villains evil rules of the evil lands? And just how unique is any game world they're actually going to publish?

sigfried

Adventurer
Re: Re: Re: Re: WotC submission ideas you rejected rather than send.

mmadsen said:

I suspect that's how most of the entries will read -- only with pretentious "fantasy" writing in place of self-deprecating humor. I mean, in what setting aren't the heroes guys who bash stuff with [setting's cool powers]? And when aren't the villains evil rules of the evil lands? And just how unique is any game world they're actually going to publish?

I think its a question of fun as opposed to unique. Unique is hard to do if you want to have the PHB be compatable with it. Your stuck with the races classes and magic to some degree.

Hmmm things I thought about but didn't submit.

1. A world where each basic race, dwarf, elf, orc, human were from a differnt aspect of the same world that somehow became mixed together, sort of fractured dimentions all crammed into one by some cataclysm. Each world had a paradime, Magic, Life, Artifce and spirit. When the worlds colided each had dominance of a part of the globe and at the center of each was a font, the source of whatever made their world what it was. So Elves congregated at the font of magic, Dwarves the font of Arifice, humans the font of soul, and orcs the font of life. Conflict ensues but is the ultimate solution to return each world to its own existance or find a balance of the four? This was a bit too complicated and too extreem, pigeonholing characters.

2. A universe where celestail bodies are gods. So that heaven and hell are not just "planes" but planets with a will to bend other gods and life forms to thier philosophy. So the game world would be a perticular god, beset by the children of other gods, the primary races coming from the moons around the planet who were working in concert with the original. Lots of other details about lesser gods (not planets, more like normal gods), and other stuff. This was just too hard to summarize and have the idea impact the feel of the world in one page.

3. A sort of post appocalips fantasy world. Lots of ruins filled with mosnters and humanity (or whatever races) trying to rebuild their world. It makes for a good rationalization for why there could be powerfull magics without civilization wiping out the wilds. Basicly human civilization simply dosn't have the population to make that kind of impact. This woud have been fine but its a bit dull, no hook, so It was lower on my list and didn't get done.

your father is

First Post
dwarf trek

I considered a world where dwarven airships are common--and can even warp dimensions--and the core heroes serve in the fleet against giants or something. This way you could do missions of individual ships, like in Star Trek.

Eventually I thought it was a bit silly.

cbatt

First Post
Here's an idea that I had, but rejected because I couldn't figure out how to do it justice:

A world whose Evil gods have succeeded in defeating the Good gods. In desperation, the most powerful magicians devised a plan to shift their world to another plane. Unfortunately, their calculations were off and they missed their target. They ended up shifting their world into space already occupied by another world, cataclysmically fusing the two worlds together.

The two worlds now compose one planet (think: one directly overlayed upon the other, not something shaped like a peanut). Parts of both worlds survived, and parts were destroyed, creating a fantastically patchwork landscape.

After ages pass, civilizations arise from the ashes. Furthermore, the evil Gods which threatened the first world have found where their unwilling subjects ended up and are invading the plane, forcing the Gods of this plane to fight back against the interlopers.

Blah blah blah... bland... incoherency...

/end

I like the idea of this world stitched together from two though and the strange interplay between the different zones, but I don't have a hook yet, nor a consistent vision. Needs lots of work, imho. Didn't want to waste the judges time with it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads