• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC submission ideas you rejected rather than send.

Ds Da Man

First Post
Attack of the Whores!!!
Late at night, when only perspective johns are about, they strike. Tenderly at first, then rough in the end!!!:D

sbwoodside

First Post
Yeah, I had one of these. My campaign is all about ethics and morality and stuff like that, with an area where everyone is truly Good, and then outside that area it's just normal. The whole campaign arc is about whether it's ethically OK to have one place that's Good without sharing that with everyone. In the end, the PCs will be able to make world-changing decisions and have to figure out what is the Right thing to do.

Do you think Wizards would have published that?

Ashwyn

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
Sure, we've heard about the guys who sent in twenty-three proposals. But what about you folks who had an idea and then realized it was dumber than Dummy McDumb? What did you personally reject rather than send to WotC?

For this thread we won't hold anyone to sticking to the official "six question" format.

I'll go first.
====
A world where the humans were nomadic pre-iron age types and caught in the middle between four warring elemental factions.

Air - Elves
Earth - Dwarves
Fire - Kobalds
Water - Gnomes

The elemental kingdoms have superior skill with magic relating to their given element, but weak when opposing their opposite.

===

Your turn!

I personally would like to play in this world. I would suggest changing the Gnomes to Locathah, they are horribly underused in my opinion.

Well, as I mentioned in another thread, I had a "flying island" setting I thought briefly about submitting. Decided not to for various reasons.

Number one is that I just don't see it as a game setting. It feels like a fiction setting to me, if that makes any sense. I've already written two novels in this setting, although neither is published yet.

Two, those novels are already copyrighted and on file at the Library of Congress, and I have no idea how that would impact WotC's guidelines/legal rules. What can I say, I was paranoid at the time I wrote these novels.

Three, I felt it was too complex to make a good setting.

"Too complex"? What does that mean?

Well, in this setting--called CloudSea--each of the larger (continent-sized) islands is based off a mytho-historical Earth culture. Pirene is Imperial Rome. Lucinde is Chivalric England (a la King Arthur). Achaea is classical Greece. Cheth is tribal Africa. And so on and so forth. Between the various human kingdoms, and the various elves, dwarven, and goblin kingdoms, we're talking over a dozen fully developed cultures, each of which could require a sourcebook in its own right. Now, some would say that this requirement makes it perfect for a product line, but I felt that I couldn't do it justice in a core book of its own.

Mostly, though, as I said, it just didn't feel right for this open call. And since I had several other ideas that did, I decided against this one.

mmadsen

First Post
Well, as I mentioned in another thread, I had a "flying island" setting I thought briefly about submitting.

Sounds right up their alley...

Number one is that I just don't see it as a game setting.

Sounds like a natural game setting to me!

Two, those novels are already copyrighted and on file at the Library of Congress, and I have no idea how that would impact WotC's guidelines/legal rules.

It's not like you can't file of the serial numbers. Isn't that what everyone did with their home campaign settings?

Three, I felt it was too complex to make a good setting.

Considering how much you're able to convey in three words -- flying island setting -- I don't think it's too complex. Heck, "Cloud Sea" alone conveys a lot.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I considered submitting my homebrew world - thought about it, realized that it was in concept, the Forgotten Realms mixed with Mystara, and nixed it.

Our group instead did a team submission, which I think is pretty good.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

One campeign of mine had as one of its features that magic was always connected to the caster- and when the caster dies, the magic dies with them.

This made book-keeping of magic items a chore for me, though. I would not do that to another dm. heh.

FD

mmadsen

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WotC submission ideas you rejected rather than send.

A sort of post appocalips fantasy world. Lots of ruins filled with mosnters and humanity (or whatever races) trying to rebuild their world. It makes for a good rationalization for why there could be powerfull magics without civilization wiping out the wilds.

Ah, I actually had a post-apocalyptic world on my list of settings I'd like to write (or see). Of course, it's probably too "derivative" for Wizards' contest, so I didn't write it up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads