D&D 5E WotC Takes Control of D&D Translations

WotC has just announced that it is taking direct control of French, Italian, German, and Spanish versions of its D&D books (which previously were licensed to third parties). They’ll also be looking for new printers outside the US and China, and pricing books more equally in non-US markets. Localised social media accounts are being launched as well as localised pages on the D&D website...

WotC has just announced that it is taking direct control of French, Italian, German, and Spanish versions of its D&D books (which previously were licensed to third parties).

4383A8A3-E9A7-4FB7-B035-DAEF44E8B323.jpeg

They’ll also be looking for new printers outside the US and China, and pricing books more equally in non-US markets.

Localised social media accounts are being launched as well as localised pages on the D&D website.

The first products will be the Essentials Kit in September, along with the three core rulebooks.

The initial focus will be Europe and Latin America.

And what books are going to be translated in 2022? If I have bought the cores, Xanathar's and Vol's guides I want to buy Moderkainen's tome of fiends, Eberron, Tasha's and Van Ritchen guides, Van, for example, not the reprint of the books I can find translated now. The players want the new titles haven't been translated yet.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm a little surprised there's no mention of any Japanese releases. If I recall correctly, WotC had already ceased contracting D&D out to Hobby Japan, but I'd have thought they'd put a priority on filling that particular gap.

I guess Japanese language will be in the next phase. We have to remember Japanese market would rather tabletop role-playing games with other style, more storytelling. I shouldn't dare to say how is the Asian market, but tastes by Chinese, Korean and Japanese fandom aren't too identical, and with some differences about politically correctness, and everybody with predjudices about their neighbours and even about people from the same country but a different zone. Hasbro should explain them a new Kara-Tur or a wuxia or jedi-gekai version of D&D could be very useful to introduce their culture and fiction into the Western market.

I hope WotC will translated the names of monsters and places when this was reasonabely possible. We don't like the "Spanglish" in the Game Workshop's last sourcebooks.

Are there already Latin American translations of the game?
No, only Spanish translations from Edge Entertainment (though Gale Force 9, if I'm not mistaken). And there's no distribution to Latin America, so purchasing the books directly from Spain is quite expensive. Usually, if you can manage reading English, it's much more affordable to just buy the books in English.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
No, only Spanish translations from Edge Entertainment (though Gale Force 9, if I'm not mistaken). And there's no distribution to Latin America, so purchasing the books directly from Spain is quite expensive. Usually, if you can manage reading English, it's much more affordable to just buy the books in English.
Exactly.

Remove ads

Remove ads