Planescape WOTC Teasing Planescape?

Was just about to post this.

OB1

Jedi Master
It's a bit early for them to be announcing the fall release officially, right? I would expect that a few weeks after TftYP comes out.

That said, I will continue to make the case that the fall releases will be Planar related, for two major reasons.

1. It allows WotC to leave the realms while still being connected to them by having the adventure start there and then travel elsewhere. It also allows for a quick introduction to other realms. I believe the Fall AP will be part 1 of 2. Part 1 will be for Tier I and II characters and move from the Realms to places like the Feywild, Shadowfell, Darksun, Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Eberon, tied together possibly by Sigil. Part 2 will be meant for Tier III and IV characters and explore the elemental and outer planes.

2. The UAs for the upcoming Big Crunch Book have had a lot of non Realms feeling material. Doing so also sets a framework for where and why all of these new class choices came into existence from.

They didn't announce Storm King's Thunder until June 1st.
It seems unlikely that they would announce the next storyline two months earlier and prior to the release of the current storyline. The focus is and should be on Tales From the Yawning Portal.

My prediction: it will be some of all of the above - a video game update, a story arc, a supplement, a Spelljammer-esque board game, etc. If they're going to do Planescape, why not do it big? Wasn't the original plan of story arcs for them to be multimedia?
They didn't do that for either of the Baldur's Gate updates. Why would they do that now?

I think WotC learned the hard way with Neverwinter that coordinating with the release of a new video game is tricky, since finalizing releases for a video game can slide a lot more than a book release...

I think they will start making announcements early for the next adventure partly because of what is going on with the AL season that is tied to Yawning Portal. The folks in charge have already said it will be a short season, something like 3 months instead of the usual 5-7 months, and that the following season is going to be extra big. How can they start the next season earlier than normal and have it tied to the next adventure book if at least some things tied to it do not come out early as well? I would not be surprised if some or all of those remaining three unknown items from that other thread are tied to this announcement coming next week.

pukunui

Legend
2. The UAs for the upcoming Big Crunch Book have had a lot of non Realms feeling material. Doing so also sets a framework for where and why all of these new class choices came into existence from.
Maybe, but a lot of that has just been them throwing ideas out to see what sticks. They've made it quite clear that we shouldn't see the weekly UA content as a preview of things to come. If people don't like things, they'll just get left on the cutting room floor. I'd say the only thing we can confidently say will be in the "Midway" product is the mystic.

EDIT: To whit ...

View attachment 82693

Last edited by a moderator:

gyor

Legend
I can't help but notice how close we are in proximity to April 1st...

That being said, I would love to think that it is a 5e version of Planescape...that would make me very, very happy. However, I suspect that it will likely be an announcement of the Enhanced Edition of Planescape: Torment.

This is very possible. Love that game. That being said I could see a tie print product.

Remove ads

Remove ads