Planescape WOTC Teasing Planescape?

Was just about to post this.

raphaelus

Explorer
Neat! :D

Of course this was coming within the next 2 years, but I thought there would be an additional "plane" (like feywild or eberron) first published to enhance the directions this concept could be extended to.

As a new gen player, I'm excited to see what this quirky setting brings.

Lord Sloth

Explorer
They didn't do that for either of the Baldur's Gate updates. Why would they do that now?

I think WotC learned the hard way with Neverwinter that coordinating with the release of a new video game is tricky, since finalizing releases for a video game can slide a lot more than a book release...

To be honest, I don't play the (or any) video games so don't pay attention to such things enough to make an educated guess - I was merely folding it into a larger picture.

Plan escape is different enough that I think WotC would be wise to have a longer rollout an hype buildup, especially considering that 5e (allegedly) has attracted a new cohort of younger fans for whom Planescape is something of yore that old Gen Xers talk about wistfully, like record stores, the Matrix, and Jean Grey. In fact, on this same line of argument, Planescape may be too 90s to have appeal today...hopefully they'd adapt to better suit the cultural zeitgeist.

Ultimately I have no idea - just speculating. I do think something Planescape related is coming, but exactly what that is: who knows.

(P.s. this is Mercurius but for some reason Tapatalk insists on using a long forgotten username I barely used 13 years ago!)

Ultimately I have no idea - just speculating. I do think something Planescape related is coming, but exactly what that is: who knows.

Between:
This page's source code includes a word "PSTEE"

Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition
And
Beamdog, the company that made the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions, tweeted about this.
Source: https://twitter.com/BeamdogInc/status/845339742501830656

it's almost certainly the update of Planescape: Torment. Which isn't really a surprise at all, as Beamdog updated the last couple games and need more time to generate new content. It's a quick and relatively easy way to generate income.

It is a *tad* disappointing. While I own the other Enhanced Edition games, I haven't really played them because the 2nd Edition ruleset just turns me off. And the advancement is just so damn slow....

Between:

And

it's almost certainly the update of Planescape: Torment. Which isn't really a surprise at all, as Beamdog updated the last couple games and need more time to generate new content. It's a quick and relatively easy way to generate income.

It is a *tad* disappointing. While I own the other Enhanced Edition games, I haven't really played them because the 2nd Edition ruleset just turns me off. And the advancement is just so damn slow....
You find Undersigil and those damn worms that respawn all the time, and just grind that area over and over again. You can level up really fast in that area.

Torment was only loosely used D&D rules in many places.

I find it interesting that some of the concepts and characters such as Ravel Puzzlewell and Fall-From-Grace concepts introduced in Torment are sort of canon in PS and D&D in general. And some of the obscure characters from the sourcebooks such as that Master of Bones and his Wererat agents appear in that game.

Mercule

Adventurer
Planescape has never really gotten me excited and neither have the D&D video games, so I'll probably pass on a PSTEE. If there's a print adventure and/or setting book, I'll consider getting it, just to support a product that isn't the Realms.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Planescape: Torment is one of my all-time favorite CRPGs, so I'm glad to see it get updated. The game was very high quality...great music, good voice acting (John De Lancie, Sheena Easton, Dan Castellaneta (aka Homer Simpson), etc.)...and OMG, what a story!!!

Remove ads

Remove ads