WotC To Give Core D&D Mechanics To Community Via Creative Commons

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.45.12 AM.png

Wizards of the Coast, in a move which surprised everbody, has announced that it will give away the core D&D mechanics to the community via a Creative Commons license.

This won't include 'quintessentially D&D" stuff like owlbears and magic missile, but it wil include the 'core D&D mechanics'.

So what does it include? It's important to note that it's only a fraction of what's currently available as Open Gaming Content under the existing Open Gaming License, so while it's termed as a 'give-away' it's actually a reduction. It doesn't include classes, spells, or magic items. It does include the combat rules, ability scores, and the core mechanic.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
Sounds like a lot of what's staying out of the CC is the stuff WotC invests playtesting dollars into. If you want to make balanced classes and spells for your own CC-derived work, you will have to invest in your own playtesting.
or use the OGL, which is your only option today since nothing is covered by CC

Yaarel

He Mage
they are not claiming it though...
Hasbro-WotC is trying to prevent the gaming community from having access to "classes" like "Wizard" and "Fighter".

The gaming community absolutely can have and use these names and concepts in a roleplay game.

It would be stupid to sign away ones right to use these public domain English language terms and concepts.

mamba

Legend
Well, that depends on what you mean by stay. I don't play 5E so what WotC does in regard to it doesn't matter to me so then no, my behavior won't change and I won't purchase WotC games because I don't currently. If WotC came out with something I thought was interesting in the future then I probably wouldn't buy it. However, I do play and purchase games based on OGL 1.0 from 3PP and if it stayed as is and the companies that create those games chose to continue publishing under it then yes, I would continue buying those games.
ha, so yes, none of this applies to you outside of what material is being made available by others than WotC, so you have no way of staying (with WotC). Yes, that question does not apply to you then

mamba

Legend
Hasbro-WotC is trying to prevent the gaming community from having access to "classes" like "Wizard" and "Fighter".
nonsense. They are not including their version of them in the CC part, that is all
The gaming community absolutely can have and use these names and concepts in a roleplay game.
No one disputes that, including WotC
It would be stupid to sign away ones right to use these public domain English language terms and concepts.
No one is asking you to

Yaarel

He Mage
no, you sign away nothing, read the CC-BY sometime
Of course, I read it.

But Hasbro-WotC is using the CC-BY in a deceptive way.

They intend to only give the parts of the SRD that they have zero ownership of anyway, especially the game rules.

There is no gift from Hasbro-WotC. Since you can already use the game rules without the CC-BY, anyway.

Then suppose you make the mistake of using the CC-BY. Any product that uses this license becomes Open. Meaning, you know longer have Product Identity that you can own.

Hasbro-WotC would never use a CC license because it would mean losing control of Intellectual Property.

Hasbro-WotC is carefully only putting content into the CC that is beyond their control anyway: namely, the game rules.

Hasbro-WotC is doing a con.

mamba

Legend
Of course, I read it.
good, then explain how it is a trap again... because what you said ("you would sign away all your rights to own your own Intellectual Property") is patently false.

But Hasbro-WotC is using the CC-BY in a deceptive way.

They intend to only give the parts of the SRD that they have zero ownership of anyway, especially the game rules.

There is no gift from Hasbro-WotC. Since you can already use the game rules without the CC-BY, anyway.
you get the right to use their language, which is not nothing. If you do not care for that then don't use it. Not sure what the issue is here

Then if you make the mistake of using the CC-BY any product that uses this license becomes Open. Meaning, you know longer have Product Identity that you can own.
you sign away nothing, read the license again then ;)

I'll make it easy for you

"Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially."

" You must give appropriate credit", "You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits."

where are you signing anything away?

Hex08

Hero
ha, so yes, none of this applies to you outside of what material is being made available by others than WotC, so you have no way of staying (with WotC). Yes, that question does not apply to you then
Nope. If Hasbro/WotC had acted in good faith I would have purchased other products from them if they published them and if they interested me. Therefore, I would have had a way of staying but since they haven't acted in good faith I won't.

I'm not really sure what your point here is. WotC has had a long history, through the OGL, of supporting 3PP and the the TTRPG industry as a whole and everything they have done recently shows they have every intention of walking back that support.

Yaarel

He Mage
good, then explain how it is a trap again... because what you said ("you would sign away all your rights to own your own Intellectual Property") is patently false.
Anyone can use Open content. That is what open means. Anyone who uses the CC license is required to make the derivatives Open. The CC lacks protected Product Identity that partially derives from open content.

you get the right to use their language, which is not nothing.
I am confident, Hasbro-WotC will calculate the content for the CC to be worthless. Everything Hasbro-WotC has done and continues to do is in bad faith.

If you do not care for that then don't use it. Not sure what the issue is here
Hasbro-WotC uses this deceptive "CC" tactic, like using the "morality clause" deceptively, as a disguise to try assassinate the OGL 1.0a.

you sign away nothing, read the license again then ;)
By using a CC "open license", you sign away your right to keep your creative content closed.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases