WotC To Give Core D&D Mechanics To Community Via Creative Commons

Wizards of the Coast, in a move which surprised everbody, has announced that it will give away the core D&D mechanics to the community via a Creative Commons license. This won't include 'quintessentially D&D" stuff like owlbears and magic missile, but it wil include the 'core D&D mechanics'. So what does it include? It's important to note that it's only a fraction of what's currently...

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.45.12 AM.png

Wizards of the Coast, in a move which surprised everbody, has announced that it will give away the core D&D mechanics to the community via a Creative Commons license.

This won't include 'quintessentially D&D" stuff like owlbears and magic missile, but it wil include the 'core D&D mechanics'.

So what does it include? It's important to note that it's only a fraction of what's currently available as Open Gaming Content under the existing Open Gaming License, so while it's termed as a 'give-away' it's actually a reduction. It doesn't include classes, spells, or magic items. It does include the combat rules, ability scores, and the core mechanic.

Yaarel

He Mage
none of the public domain you listed is included in the 'trap'. Please also explain how CC-BY can work as a trap
You already have access to everything in the SRD − the ideas and the rules − even without any OGL.

By signing on to a CC license, you would sign away all your rights to own your own Intellectual Property − without any gain in return.

What Hasbro-WotC is trying to pulll is a con.

It is like someone saying, you can use the Atlantic Ocean, as long as you agree to destroy your own business. It makes no sense.

For Hasbro-WotC to try a CC licensing of property that you already own anyway, is a trap.

mamba

Legend
Exactly.

“WotC would never use a morality clause to go after LGBTQ+ representation.”

Ahem. They already have.
Not really... "In a statement, the DMs Guild noted that the decision was made after Clegg was asked to change two pieces of interior art by Lluis Abadias that "crossed the line.""

We can argue whether they crossed a line (not to me), but saying that this is somehow against LGBTQ+ representation is taking it a 'little' too far. Pretty sure there was plenty of that left, even without a shirtless vampire ;)

Hex08

Hero
if they kept 1.0a as is, would you then stay? Because I do not see how you can do that either then...
Well, that depends on what you mean by stay. I don't play 5E so what WotC does in regard to it doesn't matter to me so then no, my behavior won't change and I won't purchase WotC games because I don't currently. If WotC came out with something I thought was interesting in the future then I probably wouldn't buy it. However, I do play and purchase games based on OGL 1.0 from 3PP and if it stayed as is and the companies that create those games chose to continue publishing under it then yes, I would continue buying those games.

This isn't just about Hasbro/WotC, other 3PP are also affected and they would keep my business if the OGL did or didn't change. However, this will prevent me from buying any future games from WotC.

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
As a rule of thumb, if a term exists in a dictionary of the English language, it is laughable for Hasbro-WotC to claim to "own" it.
They do not own the words but they claim to own the representation of it in terms of content (fighter with d10 hps, Elf with Trance).

This new OGL is bad. It is nothing like 1.0a. Put the entire SRD into creative commons and then we will be talking.

mamba

Legend
well, technically it forces them to have a license other than the OGL, but chances are they need that anyway

They put restrictions on just how 'good' a VTT using the OGL stuff can be

"Using VTTs to replicate the experience of sitting around the table playing D&D with your friends. So displaying static SRD content is just fine because it’s just like looking in a sourcebook. [...] What isn’t permitted are features that don’t replicate your dining room table storytelling. If you replace your imagination with an animation of the Magic Missile streaking across the board to strike your target [...] that’s not the tabletop experience. That’s more like a video game."

Yaarel

He Mage
They do not own the words but they claim to own the representation of it in terms of content (fighter with d10 hps, Elf with Trance).

This new OGL is bad. It is nothing like 1.0a. Put the entire SRD into creative commons and then we will be talking.
There are things relating to protecting Product Identity that the CC cannot do.

The license must be OGL 1.0a or the new ORC whose authorship is aware of the Product Identity issue.

Remove ads

Remove ads