WotC WotC to power other IPs with D&D and M:TG

In Hasbro’s recent conference call, a few things were mentioned.
  • Using D&D and Magic ‘play systems’ to power other IPs via their ‘Universes Beyond’ initiatives
  • Using D&D Beyond as a hub
  • Other physical and digital tie-ins
The Universes Beyond initiative has been running since early 2021 for Magic: The Gathering, and initially featured a The Walking Dead expansion (grandfathered in from 2020), and a Stranger Things set (2020). 2022 will see Warhammer 40K, Fortnite, and Street Fighter; and a Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth set is going out in 2023.

In addition, properties like Godzilla and Dracula have featured as MtG sets, but not as part of the Universes Beyond initiative; and in 2019 there was a My Little Pony crossover. There have also, of course, been D&D/MtG crossovers in both directions.

C51E23CA-CC91-49CB-9F75-AC99948A1965.jpeg

Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming segment President Cynthia Williams said:“You'll see us continue to expand the number of formats and reach new customer segments by expanding our Universes Beyond initiatives, which brings IP from outside of Magic into the Magic play system, We've talked a lot about universes beyond in Magic, which is this concept of thinking about Magic as a play system and bringing in outside brands or outside IP into that play system. We see potential for that with D&D as well."

She also talked about other tie-ins: "And then we see a lot of e-commerce and direct opportunities working in partnership with our Hasbro Pulse team to have physical digital tie-ins that are unique to the platform".

Hasbro’s Chris Cocks mentioned the recent D&D Beyond acquisition: “And then we’ll add on top of that the 50th anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons in 2024, where that entertainment, consumer products, and gaming momentum will continue. So, we see a lot of growth vectors and a lot of lifts for D&D with the D&D Beyond platform being central to that.”

IcV2 has a good summary.

Weiley31

Legend
Characters from "Street Fighters" can't defeat "Overwatch", or fighters from "Mortal Kombat" can't face monsters from "Doom".
Sure they can. When those situations happen where a logical outcome would happen in a fight, it gets turned over. Scorpion with a BFG would be able to handle the Cyberdemon and other mortally challenged opponents in that universe. Mercy is getting Shoryuken and it'll one hit kill her causing a respawn. The Hulk is pretty much OP, and yet, has been taken out before when the story demanded it.

Even if WotC wanted, they would need a lot of staff to produce more titles.

I guess Hasbro has talked with Microsoft and Epic Games about licencing deals. Maybe Hasbro uses its internal and forgotten brands as example of the potential for advertising of licences by other companies.

The strategy of the licences is to attrack two sections of the market, the fandom of product A as consumer, and of franchise B as merchancising collector.

Gamma World could be an animated show in a streaming service, with monsters, mutants and antropomorphic animals as heroes and villains, perfect to sell toys.

Gamma World should return before d20 Future, but the PC races from d20 Future. These can be "guest artists" in Spelljammer.

* A Cluedo game based in Stryxhaven wouldn't be a too fool idea, or Innistrad.

* Of course you kill Superman with a simple firearm.....in Fortnite: Battle Royal. Masters of the martial arts can kill monsters with a Bio-Force-Gun, but it is strange watching "Little Grasshopper" shooting with a machine-gun or Shang-Chi with a rocket-launcher. If the PCs have to face enemies where ranged weapons are totally necessary then the PCs built to be martial artists aren't so useful.

* Could we see some characters from Manga in D&D but I am afraid in some cases the nerfing is totally necessary. No character should be more powerful than Tarrasque or ancient dragons.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
If I was running the show.....

I'd simplify the engine, so that there was a nice, easy core. Then I'd build different games on top of that engine. So, it would be d20 based, but the details of how a fighter actually works in zombieland would be different than in DnD, for example. They'd be similar enough that you could move from one to the other without having to learn a whole new system.

That would allow for exploding dice or other mechanics to be in one system, but not the other. Or whatever (like spell points or psionics).

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I could see this meaning a new d20 Star Wars.

Doesn't Edge Studio (a successor to Fantasy Flight's TTRPG stuff) have the rights? I know rights are a funny thing and can change/expire, and I don't think they've actually made anything new, but it's prominent on their website.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Doesn't Edge Studio (a successor to Fantasy Flight's TTRPG stuff) have the rights? I know rights are a funny thing and can change/expire, and I don't think they've actually made anything new, but it's prominent on their website.

This is the last post I can find on the subject, last October; Edge Studio to Create Star Wars Roleplaying Games

Edge I think releases products pretty slowly, but the production quality and art looks really superb. They're releasing Midnight pretty soon, looks like it may be good.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases