WotC WotC to power other IPs with D&D and M:TG

In Hasbro’s recent conference call, a few things were mentioned.
  • Using D&D and Magic ‘play systems’ to power other IPs via their ‘Universes Beyond’ initiatives
  • Using D&D Beyond as a hub
  • Other physical and digital tie-ins
The Universes Beyond initiative has been running since early 2021 for Magic: The Gathering, and initially featured a The Walking Dead expansion (grandfathered in from 2020), and a Stranger Things set (2020). 2022 will see Warhammer 40K, Fortnite, and Street Fighter; and a Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth set is going out in 2023.

In addition, properties like Godzilla and Dracula have featured as MtG sets, but not as part of the Universes Beyond initiative; and in 2019 there was a My Little Pony crossover. There have also, of course, been D&D/MtG crossovers in both directions.

C51E23CA-CC91-49CB-9F75-AC99948A1965.jpeg

Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming segment President Cynthia Williams said:“You'll see us continue to expand the number of formats and reach new customer segments by expanding our Universes Beyond initiatives, which brings IP from outside of Magic into the Magic play system, We've talked a lot about universes beyond in Magic, which is this concept of thinking about Magic as a play system and bringing in outside brands or outside IP into that play system. We see potential for that with D&D as well."

She also talked about other tie-ins: "And then we see a lot of e-commerce and direct opportunities working in partnership with our Hasbro Pulse team to have physical digital tie-ins that are unique to the platform".

Hasbro’s Chris Cocks mentioned the recent D&D Beyond acquisition: “And then we’ll add on top of that the 50th anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons in 2024, where that entertainment, consumer products, and gaming momentum will continue. So, we see a lot of growth vectors and a lot of lifts for D&D with the D&D Beyond platform being central to that.”

IcV2 has a good summary.

Yeah. My expectation is, if the games prove popular, they will either not renew and publish their own version, or like DnDBeyond, buy it outright. However, as all three feel like niche products, I can't really predict what will happen. That said, how many books would you want of any of these properties?

If they buy Regenade studios, the studio making Power Rangers 5e, Transformers 5e, and G.I Joe 5e, that also nets them the Vampire the Mascarade 5e, and Wildlings Campaign Setting. Renegade also has Altered Carbon, but I don't think it uses 5e.

What do they do with all the board game Renegades makes, shift them to Avalon Hill?

Still the none Hasbro IP I think us most likely to get done is Warhammer, Warhammer 40k is already getting the 4 Universes Beyond: Commander Decks treatment, D&D could get its own Universe Beyond Setting Books, what if the two new D&D settings next year are Warhammer 40,000 and War Hammer Age of Sigmar?

Walking Dead RPG book makes alot less sense then Warhammer as as D&D Setting.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
If they buy Regenade studios, the studio making Power Rangers 5e, Transformers 5e, and G.I Joe 5e, that also nets them the Vampire the Mascarade 5e, and Wildlings Campaign Setting. Renegade also has Altered Carbon, but I don't think it uses 5e.
If they were to buy Renegade, I suspect the same thing would happen that happened when Wizards bought Last Unicorn - all of the licensed properties disappeared and didn't transfer to Wizards. Which meant that Wizards didn't end up getting much out of that deal, so I imagine that Hasbro will be much more careful with any buyout of Renegade if they decide to go that route.

Still the none Hasbro IP I think us most likely to get done is Warhammer, Warhammer 40k is already getting the 4 Universes Beyond: Commander Decks treatment, D&D could get its own Universe Beyond Setting Books, what if the two new D&D settings next year are Warhammer 40,000 and War Hammer Age of Sigmar?

Warhammer RPGs are currently being published by Cubicle 7, so I suspect they'd have to lose the license before Wizards could put out a D&D Warhammer game of any kind. If they don't have an exclusivity contract on RPGs in their licensing deal with Games Workshop I'd be very surprised.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Doesn't Edge Studio (a successor to Fantasy Flight's TTRPG stuff) have the rights? I know rights are a funny thing and can change/expire, and I don't think they've actually made anything new, but it's prominent on their website.

Today, yes. Five years from now? Maybe Hasbro makes a bid for more Star Wars toy and game rights. Easy come, easy go.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean, I can see a D&D tie-in being part of future Hasbro merchandising package deals: material doesn't need to be niche gaming or even Fantasy franchises. Pokemon D&D, Halo D&D, Disney Proncess D&D (which could be awesome, actually)...

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

What do they do with all the board game Renegades makes, shift them to Avalon Hill?

Cubicle 7 has the rights for making Warhammer Fantasy, 40k and Age of Sigmar TTRPGs. I find it highly unlikely that GW will cede that ground so easily. The card crossover I understand, as Games Workshop has failed any card games they try to make (unless it's combined with miniatures in a box).

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Wildlings Campaign Setting
I love this setting. If I had pre and early teens I'd play it frequently
If they were to buy Renegade, I suspect the same thing would happen that happened when Wizards bought Last Unicorn - all of the licensed properties disappeared and didn't transfer to Wizards.
Only one of the listed properties isn't wholly owned by either Hasbro or Renegade

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, I won't speculate on what's happening in 5 years! I'm focused on what might be announced... tomorrow!
Fair enough: I would be surprised if Universes Beyond coming to D&D is a tomorrow announcement. My read of this is thst the new WotC President see expanding that into a Big Thing as her chance to make a business impact, so we may see it in the next year or two.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases