• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC to Revise D&D 4th Edition GSL and SRD

Status
Not open for further replies.

delericho

Legend
Interesting that:

Goodman Games and Mongoose are already in.

Paizo is committed to 3.75, so they're out no matter what.

Green Ronin is off doing non-D&D material.

Basically, IMO, we are left with the Wizards changing the GSL for Necro, and only for Necro.

Not necessarily. Goodman Games are using the copyright route at the moment, and will go GSL when they are allowed. Kenzer are going the copyright route. If the GSL changes, both of these may sign up (sooner). And it is definately in WotC's interest to avoid companies from going the copyright route if they can. (Though, with Goodman, I think they're too late - aren't those products now shipped?)

I don't think Green Ronin have said "never" to the GSL - so perhaps these changes might bring them on board. Or perhaps not. Heck, even Paizo haven't totally burnt that bridge - Pathfinder might yet flop.

Finally, it has been pointed out on many threads here that the current GSL has the opposite of any intended 'quality' effect - it discourages those who would invest in a quality product line, but encourages those who might throw a product together quickly, make their money and get out.

Revising the GSL may impact on some, all (or none) of these. Regardless, I'm hoping it leads to more quality support products for the game (especially, at the moment, low level monsters and adventures).

ruemere

Adventurer
Umm. Maybe it would be a good idea to wait with comments, both positive and negative, until we actually see the content of the new GSL?

A few reasons why:
- endless delays in delivery of original GSL (as per Linae post, this revised version is already delayed, too),
- needless speculations and arguments,
- revised is not synonymous with relaxed.

That said, several speculations:
- given previous delays, we are unlikely to see radically different license.
- there will be some FAQ.
- there will be clarifications to the most painfully vague clauses.
- two or three most painful clauses will be relaxed... slightly but not totally.
- No-escape-to-OGL clause will be still in.

regards,
Ruemere

Klaus

First Post
Yes, do avoid being too melodramatic, because there's a risk of losing perspective. Whatever may have been said here, the posters of EN World are a small percentage of the customer base. Whatever was said in the statement, I strongly suspect the opinions of colleagues (like Necromancer Games) had a whole lot more to do with this than those of us who only play and consume.
And while it's true that ENWorld is a small percentage of the consumer base, it's also true that ENWorld concentrates a large portion of the Third Party Publisher community, which are the ones affected by the GSL.

Can we now put to bed the ridiculous idea that WotC wanted to get rid of 3pp support?
It'll take more than an announcement that the GSL is going to be revised in some unspecified way at an unspecified future date to achieve that.

Especially if the "we can change the GSL whenever we like without informing you or giving you a period to rectify any breaches of the new terms" clauses are still in, since it could otherwise be the world's most generous licence and the conspiracy theorists could still argue it was just a means of sucking 3rd parties into the GSL in order to destroy them.

On a more realistic note, WotC might finally have realised that the licence in its current form is pretty pointless if some companies prefer to rely on copyright law instead for their 4th edition products.

Talmek

Explorer
Yay?

Seriously, if it reduces some of the venom from the naysayers' mouths concerning 4e and WotC in general then I'll be happy.

And just for the record I do not plan to "upgrade" to 4e but I am glad it's bringing new blood into the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads