WotC: We Are Not Making AI Dungeon Masters

Adding to the recent spate of YouTube-based claims about WotC's plans for Dungeons & Dragons were some additional claims -- (a) that D&D Beyond would have $30 subscription fee; (b) that homebrew content would not be permitted on lower tiers; and (c) that DDB was actively working on AI Dungeon Masters.

Some of this was based on a (long ago debunked) slide from a presentation last year.

WotC has made some clarifications:

Hey, everyone. We’ve seen misinformation popping up, and want to address it directly so we can dispel your concerns.

Rumors of a $30 subscription fee are false.

No one at Wizards is working on AI DMs. We love our human DMs too much. If you’re looking for a DM, we suggest heading to our Discord where DMs and parties are looking for players.

We have designers whose core job it is to compile, analyze, and then act upon your feedback. Your feedback has made the game better over the past decade, and your feedback is central to D&D’s future.

Homebrewing is core to D&D Beyond. It's not going away, and we're not going to charge you for it. Your homebrew is, and always will be, yours. We’ve always been excited to see your creations both on and off D&D Beyond!

There is still no clear statement regarding the Open Gaming License v1.0a, however.

Greggy C

Hero
1674096386276.png

I am so bummed, I would have paid for that and forgiven them for all their other sins.

I thoroughly believe them on the AI DM thing, at least. It's been pretty well established for some days that this is a misread/typo of AL (ie, Adventurer's League) DM, but it's gotten a frustrating life of its own because people keep amplifying it. A bit like that rubbish about Knights of the Old Republic a fortnight ago.

As for the rest - well, we'll wait and see. Even once the new OGL draft is released it won't include D&D Beyond pricing structure though, so we might be waiting for a while.

Last edited:

The OGL thing isn't on him.

People saying he doesn't care about 1D&D feedback is something he might understandably take personally.
not to mention he has no good answer about the OGL (No matter what he really thinks) if he speaks for 3pp against his company that looks bad. If he speaks up for his company against the others it looks bad. He has a no win scenario about the OGL.

Even more specifically, maybe they just want to corral "visible" (read: "marketable") game elements the like spells and monsters, especially really iconic things like gelatinous cube and drow. The actual rules probably don't matter a whole lot to them.

I've said it half-jokingly elsewhere, but I bet they really do want to corner the market on owlbear plushies.
I'd LOVE an owlbear plushie. They don't need to kill the OGL to release those, though.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases