• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[WotC_Logan] Why is Tiamat Huge?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Because big things come in (relatively) small packages.

Because size doesn't matter?

Or maybe so you couldn't get quite as many PCs surrounding her?

Stormtower

First Post
I think Tiamat is Huge because the WotDQ set of DDM featured her miniature as Huge. One of the big positives of 4E is that Wizards has been designing monsters with existing and newly-released miniatures in mind, for further minis integration.

This might rub non-mini-centric DMs and players the wrong way, but many of us who inve$ted heavily in DDM are beyond pleased by the legacy functions of our minis. There would be even more outcry of "they're milking us for cash" if Tiamat suddenly became Gargantuan and everyone needed to go out and buy her Gargantuan collectible mini in order to be "official."

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I suspect it is the miniature

DING DING DING DING.

It's (mostly) about the minis. Take a look through the MM. How many Gargantuan creatures are there? A handful, and they're very iconic creatures, creatures that people would buy minis for in their own boxes.

Huge minis are cheaper, and you can probably put them in a regular minis pack. Gargantuan minis have to be by themselves.

A huge mini also allows for a more open combat environment than a gargantuan mini. A gargantuan mini pretty much mandates a huge, mostly-featureless open space for them to move around in. A huge mini has a few more options in a combat, a few more environments and caves that it can inhabit.

Minis, minis, minis. The logic for this is plastic logic, not game logic. ;)

ferratus

Adventurer
This might rub non-mini-centric DMs and players the wrong way, but many of us who inve heavily in DDM are beyond pleased by the legacy functions of our minis. There would be even more outcry of "they're milking us for cash" if Tiamat suddenly became Gargantuan and everyone needed to go out and buy her Gargantuan collectible mini in order to be "official."

I would totally buy a Gargantuan Takhisis to put on my shelf. I understand that the iconics didn't sell very well (more's the pity) but is there some way WotC could facilitate a bunch of us pooling money together on the patronage model to make buying a well-done Gargantuan Tiamat a possibility? If people are on the hook for pre-orders, nobody would lose money right?

avin

First Post
many of us who inve heavily in DDM are beyond pleased by the legacy functions of our minis.

Hmmm... not 100% sure... I'd rather see a MM based on other things than minis I already have... and basing MM on minis lead us to things like the anemic bugbear strangler from DDM...

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Because a mere mortal trying to visualize a GOD will only see a small part of the picture, and is unable to fully grasp the vastness of them.

So what you see at huge is only the parts you can conceptualize...about 5% of what a deity really is.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads