• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
But you can literally drive somewhere better on a whim. The advantages of being American are available to you; you're just choosing not to avail yourself of them. I can't just move to New York.

Maybe not with the current immigration rules, but if we got sane ones, why couldn't you relocate to the states?

At least easier than a bunch of the under 30 somethings who go to our local game shop, only have a reliable car half the time, make less than $15/hour, and have no medical coverage? The three that first come to mind would definitely all be in favor of the revisions to strip D&D of it's settler colonial/racist trappings and admit all the privilege they have... none of them is getting them to Atlanta, let alone Manhattan.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think you said you were British? I don't know what the UK economy is, but I'd imagine at least some people over there are wealthy enough that they can get a passport and fly transatlantic, maybe not on a whim, but when they have a good enough reason (business or vacation or something).

You can't just move to another country and start working there. It doesn't work like that. You can move to New York tomorrow; I can't. That's what immigration is.

Though I'm distracting from this; as you point out, I'm in the UK. I don't need to move to America. My point was meant to illustrate the vast population of the world that isn't fortunate enough to live in a modern Western country.

Right, most of the planet aren't rich. But neither is most of America.

Compared to most of the world, most of America is wealthy. This is incontrovertible. And those who aren't have the opportunity to move and seek their fortune anywhere in the richest country in the world. Most of the world does not have the power. They're literally not allowed to even try.

And this is so off-topic now. I'm obviously not disadvantaged in any way. This isn't even vaguely the topic of the thread.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Maybe not with the current immigration rules, but if we got sane ones, why couldn't you relocate to the states?

At least easier than a bunch of the under 30 somethings who go to our local game shop, only have a reliable car half the time, make less than $15/hour, and have no medical coverage? The three that first come to mind would definitely all be in favor of the revisions to strip D&D of it's settler colonial/racist trappings and admit all the privilege they have... none of them is getting them to Atlanta, let alone Manhattan.

American minimum wage is similar to what we pay our beneficiaries.

Wife's grandma gets more here on the pension.

It's similar to what McDonalds paid. 20 years ago.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
You can't just move to another country and start working there. It doesn't work like that. You can move to New York tomorrow; I can't. That's what immigration is.

Silly Morrus
Nobody can just move to New York. There's no houses in the same places as jobs.
Unless you want to live in the hood. Hood D&D in NY is... something else. :sneaky:

I've never IN MY LIFE spent so much time negotiating rewards and trades for a quest than in a one shot at a Brooklyn project building.

Edit: emphasis. NYer focus on $$$ a lot

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So, folks, and I've been guilty of it too - this thread is about D&D. And this is a gaming forum. I'm not shouting at anybody, as I found myself talking about non-D&D stuff, but let's stay on topic please. We're not here to talk about the general state of American politics. Thanks!

Zardnaar

Legend

We have sane immigration laws here.

Housing crisis, house prices doubling every 3-4 years (ours almost tripled in 9 years).

Zoomers and co can't save money fast enough, teacher shortage, medical staff shortage, can't build houses fast enough, and mass tourism.

Covid arrived, government wrote some cheques and homelessness disappear overnight.

If you want to retire to NZ you'll need $350k USD to buy an ok house here, if you want to do it in Auckland double or triple that.

If you want to find the worst house in the worst town you'll need $130k USD.

If you're young and working unless you're in the top 30% or you don't mind living rural you probably want to stay where you are.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We have sane immigration laws here.

Housing crisis, house prices doubling every 3-4 years (ours almost tripled in 9 years).

Zoomers and co can't save money fast enough, teacher shortage, medical staff shortage, can't build houses fast enough, and mass tourism.

Covid arrived, government wrote some cheques and homelessness disappear overnight.

If you want to retire to NZ you'll need $350k USD to buy an ok house here, if you want to do it in Auckland double or triple that.

If you want to find the worst house in the worst town you'll need $130k USD.

If you're young and working unless you're in the top 30% or you don't mind living rural you probably want to stay where you are.
See my post above. Talk about D&D please. New Zealand immigration laws are not on topic for this forum.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
No, but now you're getting in the way of some guy who's trying to sell his unfun/untested game on itch.io and who keeps clinging to the possibility that people will eventually embrace his vision of "we must overcome D&D because it reinforces a colonial narrative. Play my story game about the tense relationship between a microwave and an air fryer in the kitchen of a middle-class South-American family of the 20s instead".
Please let that guy post, then, instead of inventing him and attacking his issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads