• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I wouldn't mind having both, honestly. The "normal people" orcs, and the crazy evil ones. Warcraft solved this quite easily years ago: orcs were a normal race of humanoids, neither good nor evil, until most of them were corrupted by the demon Mannoroth and turned into unstoppable killing machines with a lust for blood.
In D&D, the role of Mannoroth can easily be given to Gruumsh. Orcs under the influence of Gruumsh are little more than earthly demons, while those that escaped it are just people.

Or you could have the Good war god of the your setting decide to snatch up some orcs for themselves.

It would be interesting to have a setting where are the racial deities have good and evil options. Like what Warhammer Fantasy does.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Goddamn problem if the only association with Roman armies are evil, militaristic, warmongering hobgoblins.

My Romans are the Byzantines following the Greek gods.

They're also Dragonborn. Was planning on using latin names but the campaign will be set in the Caribbean.

There's only going to be 4 or 5 human kingdoms and 3 of them are in the PHB.

I'ma guessing when people think of dark skin they don't think of this but it exists.

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
That is only said because they want to push a narrative. While downplaying pejorative connotations where people have raised actual concerns.

Who is "they?" I take issue with "theying" anyone--which is symptomatic of a different type of stereotyping (anyone disagreeing with everything I say is "one of them"). There are a variety of perspectives and subtleties at play, even if you're not discerning the nuances. In other words, there are more than two distinct sides to this issue. Some of us recognize harmful stereotypes but either disagree to the degree that they are present and/or think there are better solutions that re-writing everything fit a specific contemporary socio-cultural ideology.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I wouldn't mind having both, honestly. The "normal people" orcs, and the crazy evil ones. Warcraft solved this quite easily years ago: orcs were a normal race of humanoids, neither good nor evil, until most of them were corrupted by the demon Mannoroth and turned into unstoppable killing machines with a lust for blood.
In D&D, the role of Mannoroth can easily be given to Gruumsh. Orcs under the influence of Gruumsh are little more than earthly demons, while those that escaped it are just people.

It's a bit unfortunate, because the armor in the artwork looks really cool. The hobgoblin warlord might be my favorite piece of art in the MM. Real badass look.
Yeah I’d rather reimagine hobs by leaning into Fuedal Japan aesthetic than go back to the fairly bland older hobgoblins.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
@Ash Mantle

How is that pronounced? Would love to use it!
That'll be really awesome, Danny, thank you! :) Phonetically, I think a close approximation would be "Dah Gee-ah (but Gee-ah is pronounced quickly together if that means sense?)", something like that, hope that helps!

Yeah, that's a really helpful link! (though I'm not sure of the meanings of master, or man of light and leading, I think they're purely used as titles in an academic, scholastic, or historic sense; as the characters themselves literally mean "Great, Big, Large" "Family").

Last edited:

dwayne

Adventurer
Hugo Strongfoot, Halfling weightlifting champion, could easily have more strength than Clarence Greyhoof, minotaur city planner

(City planners being of dire importance to minotaurs given their preference to labyrinthine places to live)
I am talking typical and average of each race that is what the standards in the book are based off of, typically. But if you want to see which race can push them selves to the strongest the Minotaur will always win. He has much more mass and power than the most beefy havling could muster. But go ahead and compare extremes of the two races i could do the reverse as well.

Who is "they?" I take issue with "theying" anyone--which is symptomatic of a different type of stereotyping (anyone disagreeing with everything I say is "one of them"). There are a variety of perspectives and subtleties at play, even if you're not discerning the nuances. In other words, there are more than two distinct sides to this issue. Some of us recognize harmful stereotypes but either disagree to the degree that they are present and/or think there are better solutions that re-writing everything fit a specific contemporary socio-cultural ideology.
Insisting those connotations are not as bad. Or downplaying the negative connotations. Or keeping to perpetuate those negative connotations. Is harmful.

Mercurius

Legend
This
Insisting those connotations are not as bad. Or downplaying the negative connotations. Or keeping to perpetuate those negative connotations. Is harmful.

Again, my sense is that you have a really binary outlook on this. It is far more complex and nuanced than that. It is worthwhile and debatable, I think, to discuss to what degree the "connotations" are present and harmful. It is worth discussing what ways are best to address any problems that exist. The "proper solution" isn't some formulaic ideology that is inherently and obviously true and universally applicable.

This

Again, my sense is that you have a really binary outlook on this. It is far more complex and nuanced than that. It is worthwhile and debatable, I think, to discuss to what degree the "connotations" are present and harmful. It is worth discussing what ways are best to address any problems that exist. The "proper solution" isn't some formulaic ideology that is inherently and obviously true and universally applicable.
People have given actual concerns. Yet you insist this is just degrees and not actually that negative. Really curious. Quite troubling.
Better to emphasize with genuine concerns. Actually understand them. Than keeping on insisting that no harm is meant. Blithely handwaving them away is insane. Working on these concerns is what should move us forward. Of course you are free to do whatever you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads