D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

Envisioner

Explorer
My position is very simple, and is just four words:

ALL ART IS POLITICAL

My position is that your position is untrue.

When art doesn't mention a thing, that doesn't mean it's not present. It means the artist made that choice, whatever they tell themselves about that choice.

Let's say that tomorrow science proves that ghosts are real. Does that mean that every artist throughout history was bigoted against ghosts because they didn't depict the ghosts in their art? No, that's ridiculous, obviously.

The current political climate does NOT apply to the entire history of art. Our current perspective is not the actual factual truth; it's just what we believe right now. A lot of people right now believe that the culture of our cultures between 7000 years ago and 100 years ago was evil awful colonial imperialist racism and so forth. Those 6900 years' opinion is not invalid just because of a few people existing today who disagree.

eugenemarshall

Game designer/editor, Arcanist Press & Sigil Ent.
I'm one of your Kickstarter backers, and your product is AMAZING.

For those who haven't checked this out yet, "Ancestry & Culture" doesn't just provide an alternative mechanical design, it also provides a discussion about pretty much everything we're tossing back and forth in this thread.

I'm not 100% sure you've nailed the perfect solution, but your work is phenomenal and the best I've seen so far. Another cool product is "Grazilaxx's Guide to Ancestry" on the DM's Guild. I prefer "Ancestry & Culture", but both are worth checking out (and I think both are part of the various BLM bundles currently running).
Thanks, Dire Bare! I appreciate it. And Grazilaxx's is a great alternative to my approach as well. I recommend it too.

Just want to jump on the Eberron love here. Their approach to alignment and religion was also very good. The race approach and the religion approach was what drew me to the setting overall, far more than the magic punk elements.
Eberron gets so many things right, about religion, ethnicity, and so on.

I wish Players Handbook had kept Eberron in mind rather than Forgotten Realms.

Now imagine being a white guy and you're playing a white character, and your DM tells you that you have to give half of your starting GP to another player in your group who's playing a black character, for no other reason because the 'fantasy not Europe' people have historically had privilege and you owe the other character reparations.

Not only is that a strawman of the highest order (no one is proposing anything of the sort), it also clearly serves to highlight your own personal political leanings (in case this wasnt already clear from earlier posts).

I will not be engaging with you further on this topic, and I wish you all the best in coming to terms with those views.

Now imagine being a white guy (I'm not sure why you capitalized the race, but I'm not going to), and you're playing a white character, and your DM tells you that you have to give half of your starting GP to another player in your group who's playing a black character, for no other reason because the 'fantasy not Europe' people have historically had privilege and you owe the other character reparations. Are you going to tell me that's less problematic than your scenario?
It is well known that saying "your people are cognitively impaired" and "your people owes the other for past injustice" are the same level of offensive and problematic, and should be often used to make a point about problematic against one another.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Eberron gets so many things right, about religion, ethnicity, and so on.

I wish Players Handbook had kept Eberron in mind rather than Forgotten Realms.
I'm not an Eberron superfan, but it does seem odd that WotC didn't go in this direction, as contemporary fantasy looks a lot more like Eberron than it does the Forgotten Realms, especially when you bring in movies, TV shows, videogames and comics.

Heritage seems like it would be ok if it just referred to one persons immediate past. It doesn't seem more helpful than race or ethnicity if it goes back multiple generations and encompasses a large group of people who share it. Of course we don't have more people of that heritage working here, their values and traditions led them on other paths?
I think it is cool that ancient cultures still exist today. Some heritages are thousands of years old.

Of course heritages evolve and have to evolve, but their continuity is cool.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads