Would blending rangers and barbarians fix what is wrong with barbarians?

Reynard

Legend
Ghendar said:
Will you keep saying that when you're rollings twos and threes for HP every level?

People still keep crappy HP rolls? I thought "at least half the die" (if not more) had been a univeral house rule since OD&D.

Ghendar

First Post
Reynard said:
People still keep crappy HP rolls? I thought "at least half the die" (if not more) had been a univeral house rule since OD&D.

Universal house rule? In your D&D world perhaps. I've never heard of such a thing. Really, I haven't. Never would have occured to me.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Reynard said:

While I've played in such, I've never used it universally. In our most recent campaigns, it's been "roll, and it sucks to be you if you roll low." :)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Reynard said:

Oh, I'm totally a stickler on hit point rolling. If you roll badly, figure out a way to adapt to it.

The_Gneech

Explorer
billd91 said:
Why is there such a disparity between the ACs? There's only a 4 point difference between the best light armor and the toughest heavy armor. There's no reason a barbarian has to give up more than 4 points of AC to the fighter, particularly if he's using shields rather than 2-handed weapons.

Actually, my numbers were a little off...

Me: Dex 12, amulet of nat. armor +1, chain shirt, hvy shield, size large (homebrew race) = 17 ... or 15 in rage.

Meat shield: Dex 12, full plate armor, +1 shield = 22, plus combat expertise on occasion to get up to 26 (4th level characters).

On the other hand, I do 2d6 + 5 + d6 fire (x3 crit) with my large flaming battleaxe, whereas he has to make do with d8 + 4 with his +1 longsword. So that kinda evens things out I guess. ;)

That doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer a higher AC, tho. ;)

-The Gneech :cool:

buzz

Adventurer
billd91 said:
Oh, I'm totally a stickler on hit point rolling. If you roll badly, figure out a way to adapt to it.
Our group adapts by re-rolling 1s, or else using the too-cool-for-school d4+X mechanic from IH.

Laman Stahros

First Post
The_Gneech said:
Actually, my numbers were a little off...

Me: Dex 12, amulet of nat. armor +1, chain shirt, hvy shield, size large (homebrew race) = 17 ... or 15 in rage.

Meat shield: Dex 12, full plate armor, +1 shield = 22, plus combat expertise on occasion to get up to 26 (4th level characters).

On the other hand, I do 2d6 + 5 + d6 fire (x3 crit) with my large flaming battleaxe, whereas he has to make do with d8 + 4 with his +1 longsword. So that kinda evens things out I guess. ;)

That doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer a higher AC, tho. ;)

-The Gneech :cool:
Well, now I see the problem. Chain shirt + size Large = ouch! If you were to get breastplate armor you wouldn't have that problem.

S'mon

Legend
Reynard said:
Buh?.... The 3E rage is a state of perfect battle meditation that can be switched on and off and doesn't blind the PC from the differences between friend and foe.

Well it doesn't make you go all Elric/Stormbringer-y, but it does lower your AC -2. Not what I'd call "perfect battle meditation". :p

Jon Potter

First Post
Klaus said:
The excelent Conan d20 website stats him (at the time he's king) as Barbarian 11/Fighter 4/Rogue 5.

[threadjack]

There's a different and, IMO, more accurate assessment of Conan from Level 1 through to Level 20 here.

[/threadjack]

Remove ads