• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would WotC publish a new original adventure in the next packet?

Blackwarder

Adventurer
In the previous packets, ever since the first one, there was a new adventure in each new complete packet (I'm not counting the half packets that only added stuff to a current packet). The first, third and fourth ones are actually three classic adventures, the second packet OTOH had an entire new and original adventure (which I loved).

We know that the next packet will have more classes (paladin, ranger and Druid has been confirmed) and more races, there was also the tid bit about new rules system for exploration from the last update that was removed from the packet on the last minute.

So my question is what do you think?
Should/would WotC add a new adventure in the next packet?
Would it be anouther oldie or a brand new one?
If another oldie which one do you think it will be?
If an original one what would you like to see?

Warder

the Jester

Legend
It's hard to predict.

However, I would say that the next adventure will prolly be one that gives the new material (paladin, ranger and druid) plenty of opportunities to shine- so something with both wilderness exploration, roleplaying and combat opportunities.

I don't know what they'll actually do, but if they were asking for opinions... I'd vote for L1: The Secret of Bone Hill.

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
Only if there needs to be one to showcase new elements. Even then, it might be able to expand Isle of Dread or Keep on th Borderlands to more of their former glory. Isle of Dread would be good for testing wilderness rules, for instance.

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
Only if there needs to be one to showcase new elements. Even then, it might be able to expand Isle of Dread or Keep on th Borderlands to more of their former glory. Isle of Dread would be good for testing wilderness rules, for instance.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Yes I'd like to see a new adventure with the next packet for sure!

I am good with either one.

Taken that dndclassics.com now sells oldie again, i'd be inclined to say we may see a old Dungeon one more than anything. It can be anything!

Something Fantasy noir and Eberronesq!

delericho

Legend

Probably, yes.

Not particularly fussed. But they need to make sure it's a good adventure - quality trumps originality, or the lack thereof.

Depends what the new rules in the next packet are for. If they've beefed up wilderness exploration, they should go for an adventure with heavy emphasis on wilderness exploration; if the new packet is more about the roleplaying systems, they should go with a politics-heavy adventure; and so on.

Axiie

First Post

If they rock an oldie adventure, I really want to push my players into S1, a module whose name I don't want to mention out of the dread its very name radiates. I think it would be fantastic to run them through it, since they haven't played much old school D&D and haven't grasped the concept of 'death is prevalent around every corner, behind every tree, in the hollow eyes of an emotionless skull'. It would also allow for the developers to test how the system works with a focus on abstract thinking, something that they seem to be returning too after a short respite. It would deliver a very clear message... lethality is back, it's important, and your face can literally melt off as you wander around feeling the walls in search of your 'friends' who pushed you into those god dam columns.

With the new rules for exploration rumoured, we can’t forget the importance of exploration within a confined space. Yes, exploration, at least when mentioned in terms of design and rule sets, is primarily geared towards overland travel and/or wilderness adventuring, but I think now is the opportunity to expand that and assist the concept of exploring and surviving in a dungeon. What better place to test that than S1...

Lich have mercy...

If they include a brand new adventure, I’d love to see a sneak peek involving something to do with The Sundering. Perhaps a major villain, or the rumblings of the cataclysmic event, could make an appearance within the adventure. Operating in the shadows, in such a way that is never truly stated, but when revealed upon release or at a later date, everyone can say “Yes! My character was there, they felt the earth move; she saw the figure in the shadows! I was touched by The Sundering before it occurred”. Such a feeling upon reveal is the stuff legacy narrative is made from.

This method would be much harder to achieve; they have to do it in such a way that the adventure is fresh and new, offers a satisfying conclusion independently of any future plot twist but still leaves the players (and characters) with a feeling of unease that something immense is about to go down.

Myrhdraak

Explorer
I am starting to think that the D&D Next is an ambition from WotC to handle the fact that they have not produced so many great adventures the last couple of years. By releasing DnD Next that would work with old classic adventures, but maybe more importantly - work with Pathfinder Adventure Paths, they get free adventures, and can focus what they are good at - developing balanced game rules.

Raistrox

First Post

If they include a brand new adventure, I’d love to see a sneak peek involving something to do with The Sundering. Perhaps a major villain, or the rumblings of the cataclysmic event, could make an appearance within the adventure. Operating in the shadows, in such a way that is never truly stated, but when revealed upon release or at a later date, everyone can say “Yes! My character was there, they felt the earth move; she saw the figure in the shadows! I was touched by The Sundering before it occurred”. Such a feeling upon reveal is the stuff legacy narrative is made from.

This method would be much harder to achieve; they have to do it in such a way that the adventure is fresh and new, offers a satisfying conclusion independently of any future plot twist but still leaves the players (and characters) with a feeling of unease that something immense is about to go down.

I heard that the next season of Encounters, which will also be available as 4E or Next, will be a sequel to the Lost Crown of Neverwinter, so it'll definitely be set in the FR, so something about the Sundering may be very feasable, especially given that the first Sundering adventures start coming out later this year.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
From the WotC site:
Those discussions quickly led to the plan to premier the Table Titans Mines of Madness D&D Next adventure at PAX East 2013. The adventure, inspired by the original PVP storyline, is written by Chris Perkins and illustrated by Scott Kurtz. It will be the feature game in the D&D DM’s Challenge taking place on March 23, which Scott himself will oversee. Just after PAX East, the adventure will be made available as part of the D&D Next playtest materials.

Remove ads