Would You Back The Mystery $1 RPG Kickstarter?

Game designer Jim Pinto has a novel take on crowdfunding - he's currently running a Kickstarter campaign with a pledge level of $1 and whose rewards are a mystery. Well, kind of. Backers will suggest and vote on a title, and he will write an RPG based on that title. Every backer gets a PDF of the result for $1. Some higher pledge levels let you vote more times, but the reward remains the same. Stretch goals include extra pages, along with wacky things like control of Pinto's Twitter account for an hour and Pinto getting himself a tattoo of the game's name.

Game designer Jim Pinto has a novel take on crowdfunding - he's currently running a Kickstarter campaign with a pledge level of $1 and whose rewards are a mystery. Well, kind of. Backers will suggest and vote on a title, and he will write an RPG based on that title. Every backer gets a PDF of the result for $1. Some higher pledge levels let you vote more times, but the reward remains the same. Stretch goals include extra pages, along with wacky things like control of Pinto's Twitter account for an hour and Pinto getting himself a tattoo of the game's name.

photo-original.jpg

It's doing quite well, too. With a $1 funding goal, it could hardly fail to succeed, but it's blasting through some stretch goals and is approaching $4,000 with a week left to go.
It already has an additional 48 pages, and at $4,000 it will get an extra 50 pages.

Here are some of the already suggested titles:

• Werewolves of London
  • Big Booty Bards
  • Oil
  • Occam's Dollar Razor Club
  • The Road Less Travelled
  • In A Dark Room
  • The Alchemist's Dilemma
  • The Rancorous Regiment of Revenant Rouges and the Randomly Relocating Ring
  • I Don't Know How to Play This
  • More Than A Mannequin
  • Death in Wonderland
  • Unintentional Clairvoyance
  • Pass the Cannibal
  • Ninja Roulette
  • ​... and many more!

Why would you back such a thing? As the creation himself says, it's only a dollar and he hasn't cheated anyone yet. On that basis alone, it might be worth a plug. Find it right here!

Patrick McGill

First Post
It's not that I have a problem spending a dollar, it's that why in the world should this guy get this money? It smacks of the infamous Potato Salad GoFundMe. Maybe I'm being a crank.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's not that I have a problem spending a dollar, it's that why in the world should this guy get this money? It smacks of the infamous Potato Salad GoFundMe. Maybe I'm being a crank.

There's no moral component, or any "should" about it. There's just "does this sound like a fun way to spend a dollar?"

If the answer is no, fair enough. For me, it's fun enough for a dollar.

Gillywonka

First Post
Intriguing, and no, I will not join the 3000+ people who wagered little to get a complete unknown. I can use that to buy a soda, or gum, or maybe a cheap beer at happy hour - maybe - and those demonstrate that even a dollar is not to be wasted.

I wouldnt buy nor drink any beer that cost a $1.

Mercule

Adventurer
Honestly, I did the $1 because I can and because I'm curious to see what comes of it. I do quite a bit on Kickstarter, usually in board games, so this more of a matter of "I'm here, anyway."

I guarantee that it'll be better than the $1 beer.

Also, anyone who's ever played the lottery (a.k.a. "a tax on people bad at math") has zero room to throw stones.

Bounty Hunter

First Post
I've been backing it since the first day and have no issue with devoting a whole dollar to something that may or may not go anywhere. If nothing else some of the updates have been humorous enough to watch to make it worth the soda and chips I would have otherwise spent the money on.

Remove ads

Remove ads