D&D 5E Would you be happy with fixed damage?

Oofta

Legend
I use fixed damage as a DM, the only time I roll is for extra damage from a crit. It's just faster and I have too many things to do.

My players can always use average if they want, some do because they can't add quickly in their head. I let them round up because that extra half point of average damage here and there doesn't matter.

Players can also use it for spells and other attacks that have a large number of dice as well.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think I'd like that, yes. For me at least, the attack roll is quite enough for the thrill of rolling, no need to throw a bunch of die after that.

On the other hand, I'd would prefer that spells had a random number of targets in a range, like 13th Age does.

Ex:
Fireball
Ranged spell; Daily (in 5e, range 120 ft, 3rd level spells etc)

Special: When you cast this spell, you can choose to cast it recklessly.

Target: 1d3 nearby enemies in a group. If you cast recklessly, you can target 1d3 additional enemies, but then your allies engaged with the target may also take damage. (in 5e, the ally within 5 ft of targeted enemies would need to make the save also)

Attack: Intelligence + Level vs. PD (in 5e, it would be Dex save vs Spell DC for half).

Hit: 8d6 fire damage. (30 (?) fire damage, if you take fixed average damage).

Last edited:

If there was a campaign where weapons dealt fixed damage, e.g a dagger did 3+STR/DEX points of damage, a greatsword did 7+STR, etc. Would you be happy? Would it take away from the fun of rolling damage for you? Or would you be content if it sped up play?

If the d20 roll could modify the fixed damage, like crit does, then that would be fine.

Aldarc

Legend
Playing Cypher System, I don’t find fixed damage a problem. In the Cypher System, however, one can get additional damage through abilities or rolling well:
  • 17: +1 damage
  • 18: +2 damage
  • 19: +3 damage or a lesser effect
  • 20: +4 damage or a greater effect

I also like fixed damage dice associated with classes, as per Dungeon World and Black Hack.

Remove ads