• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would you change a monster's hit points mid-fight?

As a stop-gap measure in game, okay. But if it happens more often than I think is good for the game, then that would be the time to drill back down into the combat rules on the prowl for a tweak that will put things right and unfun dragging-on combat becomes a thing of the past or at least happens much more infrequently.

ccs

41st lv DM
My monsters typically just start with max HP. Or double whatevers listed if I'm using a module that lists them.
I never scale HP down.

CydKnight

Explorer
Not only would I but I have done so. When I do, it is always adding hit points because the fight is much easier than I imagined it would be for the players.

Disclaimer: No PCs were lost after adding hit points to creatures after combat began.

merwins

Explorer
Never. For any reason.

If monsters are too easy, the characters get overconfident.
If monsters are too hard, the characters become wary.

I'm not sure there's any such thing as "just right." And I can use the emotional outcome of any battle to my advantage in future situations. My overarching story is consistent, but the session-by-session is pretty fluid.

JonnyP71

Explorer
Have done frequently. Will do again. Monster hp remain hidden from the players at all times, and are rarely the average amount specified in the MM anyway, so they are none-the-wiser.

Arilyn

Hero
Sometimes, if it looks like group is going to go down in unsatisfactory way, or if fight is dragging, and players are getting bored. Not something I do often.

dave2008

Legend
No, more health is the last thing most 5E monsters need.

Interesting, I hear mostly the opposite. 5e monsters have to few hit points (past CR8-10 at least) and they go down to easy.

On topic: Yes I have changed hit points mid-combat (up and down) and sometimes I don't use hit points at all!

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I find it more effective to simply narrate the end of a fight that's dragging and the outcome is no longer is no longer in question, though I try not let battles get to that point in the first place. Very few of my creatures go into a battle without having some condition for deciding they're better off taking the better part of valor. Fighting to the death is overrated.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
As the title asks: it's the middle of an encounter, would you change a monster's hit points?

This might be during a boss fight where the PCs roll well and it looks like the big bad is going to die before taking a turn. Or maybe during a long fight that looks like it might drag. Or perhaps a tense fight where the party is toeing on a TPK.

Would you?

Sure. The fight might involve an enemy with special meaning for a certain character - I'll fudge the HP's of the monster to allow them to either get the finishing blow, or to make sure they get at least a round to say or do something significant.

It might be a set piece encounter, and I know one of the PC's has a special combo or tactic they want to use. I might add extra HP to make sure the monster lasts until their turn, or I reduce the HP at the last minute to make sure their special attack is the killing blow.

More frequently - they have killed the big bad and are mopping up the minions and lieutenants - I'll just start having them die or flee on the next attack that hits them.

I'm not usually concerned about making sure the big bad gets a turn, or avoiding a TPK, but rather with making sure the fight is fun and challenging. If the PC's execute a well laid plan and are going to curb stomp the big bad and their forces, well sometimes that's the best reward of all.

And if the PC's insist on doing something really dumb and get in over their heads...well, they will be spoken of in tavern stories heard by the new group of PC's. :p

Remove ads