D&D General Would you fequent a gamer's hangout/bar?

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
We have a club with two rooms with TV-tables, a kitchen and a backyard for grilling meat and it works out semi-ok... Though if we turned it into a PlayStation club, we'd start to actually make profit and I wouldn't need to pay for rent out of my own pocket.

A friend and I were talking about what would be the ideal adult gamer hangout. A business with private rooms for groups to use with nice gaming tables and TV's/monitors for GM's to use if they want, an area with good wargaming tables, a card gaming area, and possibly a small arcade with classic video games and /or pinball. Snack-type foods, maybe burgers/hot dogs/etc, and drinks (beer, but not liquor).

Would you and your group frequent such an establishment?

I play regularly at such an establishment. No screens, but good tables, and some free games, too.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I live in a small town with less than 2,000 people in it... So we don't have our own game shop...

But if we did, I'd play there so long as Covid wasn't super bad and stuff!

Instead I've turned our downstairs living room (Split level house) into a D&D Den. It's nice, but getting people to come over has been rough because of the aforementioned Covid.

I live in a small town with less than 2,000 people in it... So we don't have our own game shop...

But if we did, I'd play there so long as Covid wasn't super bad and stuff!

Instead I've turned our downstairs living room (Split level house) into a D&D Den. It's nice, but getting people to come over has been rough because of the aforementioned Covid.
My town on the Washington Coast is pretty small, too. I've been wanting to find some non-family people to game with, so I don't always have to dm, but it's pretty much a lost cause.

pogre

Legend
Probably not. I have an established group and all my stuff in my game room. If I was recruiting players I might run a campaign to see if I could cherry-pick some folks for my home game.

The place in my city that folded, tried pretty hard to survive - cocktails to go, boardgame "takeout," etc. But after a while, they just went back to appeals to people to show up in person. Which, I get that they were struggling, but this was at the height of the pandemic and they might as well have said "okay, so we know you'll be risking your lives, but show up to play boardgames in this small room that can't really support social distancing."

We had such a place - a bar/restaurant with loads of dedicated gaming space, and a pretty impressive board game library. They tried so hard to survive covid, and got pretty innovative about it - they were the first restaurant around here I know that, back when basics like flour were hard to find, would use their restaurant suppliers to fill the gaps. Unfortunately, the pandemic killed the place.

Probably not. But I've thought a lot about this in the past. One thing such a place would need is secure storage lockers one can rent. And rent for cheap. Because who wants to drag all their gaming stuff (books, mini's terrain) around? So a place to keep it where you can also play is important. And if it's cheap, then it encourages me to use it and to come back.

A liquor license would be nice, and hot food would be cool. But would probably be a better business decision to use a nearby restaurant or Uber Eats/Doordash/etc.

Remove ads