D&D General Would you fequent a gamer's hangout/bar?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Fantasy Flight Games HQ has a gaming center that is a quick drive from where I live. It is an excellent space with many large, clean tables, in a large space. They have decent food and beer on tap. But...

It is great for board games, but whenever I've tried to run games there the background noise was too loud. I was always hoarse after a session of any TTRPG there. Being a player in games is a bit easier, except I often had trouble hearing some DMs unless sitting right next to them.

If I were to pay to use space for TTRPGs, I would rent a room from somewhere like WeWork. My problem with the conference rooms in many of these kinds of places is that the wall are often glass and there is often no privacy.

While my gaming area in my house is not perfect, it is just more convenient, affordable, and pleasant for long TTRPG sessions than any game store or pub I've seen.

A liquor license would be nice, and hot food would be cool. But would probably be a better business decision to use a nearby restaurant or Uber Eats/Doordash/etc.
Given how big of a markup you can get on food (and especially liquor), I think this might be the opposite: the games are there to get people in so you can sell them beer and pizza, not the other way around.

Which means it might be best to be a gaming spot by day and a nerd-hangout bar by night, rather than just being a dedicated game space.

Nytmare

David Jose
I'm fairly certain this is a fantasy most gamers have had. I know I have it alllllll the freaking time.

I'm well outside of the target demographic for most of these places. I'm not a drinker and (outside of the apocalypse) my house is my circle of friends' gaming haven. I've been to several game-bars over the years, but the only ones I really spent any time at were when I was in Austria with work, and was 5000 miles away from any of my games.

While I was in college though, and assuming it fit into my limited budget, I would have been there all the time. I spent most of my formative college years trying to make places that were decidedly not clubhouses full of gamers, clubhouses full of gamers. Having an actual place that was attempting to be what I tried and failed to turn every game store, coffee shop, university meeting area, and friend's living room into would have been amazing.

The pandemic unfortunately killed off the one gamer bar that had actually managed to pull it off here in Pittsburgh (/me pours one out for Mana Boardgame Tavern). I had been impressed the two or three times we managed to get together there to scope things out, but I'd still rather play at home, or any one of the other random gaming groups I (used to) meet with pre-pandemic. Their game selection was maybe a little above average, and they did a nice job dressing the place up; but sticky tables, loud bar noises, and dim moody lighting made me wish that we were in my game room instead. It's weird, cause I love conventions and don't mind open tables for board game or rpg playing in that setting, but the idea of running a campaign in an open, active space like a bar ain't for me. Heck it even bothered me playing a board game next to a group trying to play D&D because I felt like I was shouting rules out to the table during all of the DM's big dramatic reveals.

I think that having a game store/hangout space that meshes store and play space together well is rare. It always seems like the stores that are great have tables mashed up and in the way of everything, and the places that have good play areas are kind of barren, antiseptic warehouses with no character. More than anything though, I don't know how the places that do work manage to stay in the black. It just doesn't seem like it's a business model that has a lot going for it. I know that there are places that do it, I just don't understand how.

There's a game store here called Legions that is a little too far for me to hit regularly, but it always impressed me. It's the one game store in town here where I'm not close friends with any of the owners or employees, but there was an old gaming group that I used to play with infrequently who used that store as a base for their get togethers. The selling stuff part of the store isn't all that big, but the physical location is IMMENSE. I don't know what the place used to be before it was a game store, but it has always felt to me like it must have been either a music venue or maybe an old rollerskating rink. The place just has so much freaking character. The entrance on the ground floor leads to a staircase, a ramp, and an elevator that all kind of helix around each other and dump you down into the basement. There are a handful of private rooms that I've never ventured into but that several RPG groups used. The entire rest of the building though is just tiers of giant wargaming tables stacked end to end on three or four different asymmetric raised stages. Rows and rows of 6x8 wargaming/gaming tables with giant boxes of green foam terrain packed underneath them. I think what I always liked the most about it (aside from the fact that it had all those neato overlapping levels and stages) was the fact that the store and the play space, even though they were completely open to each other, were distinct and separate entities. I think that is what bothers me about most of the game taverns I've seen. I'm all for a clubhouse that has a bar, and that has food, and has gaming, but I want them to not all be stuffed into the same room.

Nytmare

David Jose
I wish there was ANY place for gamers in my town. I would prefer a cafe to a bar, but have no objections to either.
Oof, that is way out in the middle. 125 miles to either Portland or Seattle though... Just a little bit of a drive to support your habit.

What about Aberdeen, how hard of a trip is that for you? Looks like there are a couple of shops up there that support in store gaming.

Oof, that is way out in the middle. 125 miles to either Portland or Seattle though... Just a little bit of a drive to support your habit.

What about Aberdeen, how hard of a trip is that for you? Looks like there are a couple of shops up there that support in store gaming.
Only one, really, and I think it closed during the pandemic. It was pretty rinky dink, too, mostly just selling used Magic cards.

That's the very same gamer bar I was talking about. My take on the place is the same as yours, pretty much, though I would add that the mixed drinks were on the weak side.

It remains to be seen if Victory Pointe's going to reopen after the pandemic (though they don't have a liquor license, which seems to make a big difference). And one of my friends said that it looks like a new gamer bar is in the process of opening on Carson street. Opening a new gamer bar during the pandemic...right now that's a dicey business venture.

The pandemic unfortunately killed off the one gamer bar that had actually managed to pull it off here in Pittsburgh (/me pours one out for Mana Boardgame Tavern). I had been impressed the two or three times we managed to get together there to scope things out, but I'd still rather play at home, or any one of the other random gaming groups I (used to) meet with pre-pandemic. Their game selection was maybe a little above average, and they did a nice job dressing the place up; but sticky tables, loud bar noises, and dim moody lighting made me wish that we were in my game room instead. It's weird, cause I love conventions and don't mind open tables for board game or rpg playing in that setting, but the idea of running a campaign in an open, active space like a bar ain't for me. Heck it even bothered me playing a board game next to a group trying to play D&D because I felt like I was shouting rules out to the table during all of the DM's big dramatic reveals.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I am familiar with a successful local gamer bar.

It is successful because of the bar component; the "games" is an add-on, attracts that certain crowd, etc., but the money and profits come because people like to drink, and pay for the privilege.

While they are very nerd-friendly, they are more likely to run "80s trivia" or "Star Wars trivia" nights, or have board game events, or retro video game night, than any sustained campaigns for D&D. After all, the money is made from the drinks, not from having people camping out for long periods of time.

Remove ads