D&D General Respeckt Mah Authoritah: Understanding High Trust and the Division of Authority

Thomas Shey

Legend
That's an odd GM requirement, but if you like siting around talking more then playing a game, then your welcome to have that sort of fun.

I'd like to play a game that's being run for the whole group, not just the GM's idea of everything. If having your way everytime as a GM is the only way you can enjoy doing that--well, its your players job to decide what to do about that, not mine.

(And no, I'm not going to buy into your all-or-nothing "give up immediately or do nothing but argue" construction. There's a world of space in between those two and if you don't want to accept that, it says more about your perspective than the realities).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Any idea how distribution was in general in Canada in the 80s adn early 90s? My experience as a teenager in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area was pretty much the same as @Maxperson described for LA despite living in a much smaller metropolitan area, but the reason I ask about Canada in general is the original 2e books did not have Canadian pricing on the back while the 1993 and later reprints did.
In the 1979-82 run you could get D&D stuff here in Victoria but you had to know where to look.

By the mid-80s D&D was everywhere, including at least one greeting card shop; and some long-standing game/comic stores had become established.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Some other people like to start playing an RPG for a couple minutes....and then stop so an "expert" player can "challenge" the GM and insist that it is physically impossible for anyone ever to shoot and arrow from a bow "straight up into the air". And then spend hours talking and arguing about that.
That's an easy argument to solve: "Sure you can shoot an arrow straight up into the air, but you might want to move before it comes back down...."

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It isn't just the referee that has to live with it, though.
side note, maybe for meta:

FYI I got the notification that I'd been quoted (in the post I quote above) about a minute before the post actually appeared in the thread. Interesting.

/side note

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That's an odd GM requirement, but if you like siting around talking more then playing a game, then your welcome to have that sort of fun.
If by odd you mean the normal way things seem to be done, I agree! The typical DM doesn't use sit down and shut up when people disagree with him.
Some other people like to start playing an RPG for a couple minutes....and then stop so an "expert" player can "challenge" the GM and insist that it is physically impossible for anyone ever to shoot and arrow from a bow "straight up into the air". And then spend hours talking and arguing about that.
This isn't what was said or suggested.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The voice of my people.
Are you.........are you a cylon!?

download (3).jpg

Remove ads