D&D General Respeckt Mah Authoritah: Understanding High Trust and the Division of Authority

I'll be pretty blunt: someone with that hair a trigger for that, my reaction would be "Well, thanks for saving me the trouble of taking a walk." Because someone who can't stand to be challenged even that much is a GM I don't want to be within a country mile of as a player.
The thing is: I want to play an RPG. I do not what to play the "endlessly challenge everything" game. It's simple enough.

Taking that tack would have run me out of players about 35 years ago.
I get that some peoples idea of a fun RPG time is to play the game for about an hour....and spend five or more hours not playing the game so they can talk, argue, debate, and so forth.

I....just don't agree. We are there to play a game....not talk and debate and such.

Perhaps for you, but here in Los Angeles they were quite literally all over the place.
Well, you sure can't compare LA, one of the biggest urban metroplexes in the world......to, well, most of the rest of the world.

Hussar

Legend
Well, you sure can't compare LA, one of the biggest urban metroplexes in the world......to, well, most of the rest of the world.

A friend of mine from LA compares his small former coal mining town to LA and can’t understand why things are so different. It’s so strange to me.

Hrm let’s compare one of the richest cities in the richest part of the richest country on the planet to one of the poorest towns in Japan. :erm:

London Ontario. In the 80’s and 90’s was around 300 k people. Large city by Canadian standards.

One hobby shop that carried DnD.

That was it. Bookstores didn’t. Zellers sure didn’t.

Comparing LA to anywhere in the world will very much skew your perception.
Any idea how distribution was in general in Canada in the 80s adn early 90s? My experience as a teenager in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area was pretty much the same as @Maxperson described for LA despite living in a much smaller metropolitan area, but the reason I ask about Canada in general is the original 2e books did not have Canadian pricing on the back while the 1993 and later reprints did.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Any idea how distribution was in general in Canada in the 80s adn early 90s? My experience as a teenager in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area was pretty much the same as @Maxperson described for LA despite living in a much smaller metropolitan area, but the reason I ask about Canada in general is the original 2e books did not have Canadian pricing on the back while the 1993 and later reprints did.

So what you're saying is that the better distribution of D&D in Canada is what caused the country to be unable to win the Stanley Cup?

Dang.

#sorrynotsorry

Oofta

Legend
So what you're saying is that the better distribution of D&D in Canada is what caused the country to be unable to win the Stanley Cup?

Dang.

#sorrynotsorry

Even as someone who doesn't follow hockey I know Canooks are pretty obsessed with the game, I find "unable to win the Stanley Cup" to be ridiculous hyperbole. After all 1993 wasn't that long ago was it? Wait ... doing the math ... dang I'm getting old.

And I don't want to deal with a GM who's view is "Sit down, shut up, or get out." If you can't deal with at least some challenges some of the time, I don't need you GMing.
That's an odd GM requirement, but if you like siting around talking more then playing a game, then your welcome to have that sort of fun.

I'll be pretty blunt: someone with that hair a trigger for that, my reaction would be "Well, thanks for saving me the trouble of taking a walk." Because someone who can't stand to be challenged even that much is a GM I don't want to be within a country mile of as a player.
Everyone's idea of fun id different. I like to play RPGs.

Some other people like to start playing an RPG for a couple minutes....and then stop so an "expert" player can "challenge" the GM and insist that it is physically impossible for anyone ever to shoot and arrow from a bow "straight up into the air". And then spend hours talking and arguing about that.

As long as everyone has fun.

Remove ads