Would You Get A D&D Tattoo?

How much of a D&D fan are you? Not as much as this guy, I'll warrant! D&D fan Sean Whissen has gotten the D&D ampersand tattooed onto his forearm. Sean posted this to Twitter with the caption "Check out my new ink!"
How much of a D&D fan are you? Not as much as this guy, I'll warrant! D&D fan Sean Whissen has gotten the D&D ampersand tattooed onto his forearm. Sean posted this to Twitter with the caption "Check out my new ink!"

Click on the image to jump to his Twitter post (under his Twitter name, @smob89). Has anybody else got a D&D tattoo?

CPjt-NKUsAAnDRO.jpg

Anthraxus

Explorer
I do! I have an armband tattoo showing 9 of the Greyhawk Deities symbols(also indicating the 9 alignments/Great Wheel/Outer Planes), bounded by Earth, Water, Air, and Fire (indicating the inner planes).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Needs a touch up but nice idea.

It may not need a touch-up. Looking at the area around the tattoo, it might be *very* fresh. The variation in color may not be uneven ink, but may be variation in irritated skin that isn't healed yet.

I do wonder why he didn't outline it in black, though. Colors (especially red) have a tendency to bleed around the edges if not bordered, which would lead to a fuzzy, unfocused appearance in the long run.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And in typical fashion people bash a pretty epic tattoo. Stop being ashamed of your tramp stamps.

A "tramp stamp" is specifically a tattoo on the lower-back. Not all ink is tramp stamp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
It may not need a touch-up. Looking at the area around the tattoo, it might be *very* fresh. The variation in color may not be uneven ink, but may be variation in irritated skin that isn't healed yet.

I do wonder why he didn't outline it in black, though. Colors (especially red) have a tendency to bleed around the edges if not bordered, which would lead to a fuzzy, unfocused appearance in the long run.

Could be. I know my tattoos looked rough for a couple weeks after. I only have a slight bit of color though so I'm not that familar with that much red.

And a black outline would do a lot for it.

Louis Brenton

Explorer
I have one tattoo, & it's unlikely that I'd ever get another one. However, I love this guy's tattoo. The 5e ampersand is my favorite, & he's got it looking sharp here.

I follow the advice that you should decide on the tattoo's position and design and then wait a year. If you still want that same tattoo, go for it.

Still... Things can change. I have a Ghost Rider tattoo on my back. Because I liked the '90s character and much of the comics. I like the character in general really.
But no one warns you that someone might come along and turn your tattoo into a Nick Cage movie.

Anthraxus

Explorer
Still... Things can change. I have a Ghost Rider tattoo on my back. Because I liked the '90s character and much of the comics. I like the character in general really.
But no one warns you that someone might come along and turn your tattoo into a Nick Cage movie.

Sad but true. :blush:

I'm a fan of the 70's, 90's and 00's GR. Someday, a tattoo. :)

Talmek

Explorer
Well I have been playing D&D for 38 years so far, so 12 more and I should go get inked? lol :confused: :lol:

If you've been playing for that long (I've only been at it for 15 - since 3e) then go for it!

My original quote was really centered on the permanence of tattoos and to ensure that whoever gets one should do a good bit of thinking before putting something that (used to be) was going to be there forever.

Remove ads

Remove ads