• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would You Let a Monk Roll for Stats?

I think whether monks have enough ki or not is highly dependent on whether your party is getting something around the assumed 2 short rests.

If your group isn't really using short rests, triple all of the short rest recharge features that classes get and make them long rest recharge features.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think whether monks have enough ki or not is highly dependent on whether your party is getting something around the assumed 2 short rests.

If your group isn't really using short rests, triple all of the short rest recharge features that classes get and make them long rest recharge features.

Yup i would ket Monk player chose one or the other personally.

Let's them nova at least.

IME this is only really an issue at low level. Once you get to about 7th level ki is no longer in short supply (unless you are just spamming and wasting it)
I can agree with that, but that's about the halfway point for most campaigns. The idea of spending half the campaign starved for resources gives me too many 1E-2E wizard flashbacks. Cast my sleep and throw my darts. 😭

Zardnaar

Legend
I can agree with that, but that's about the halfway point for most campaigns. The idea of spending half the campaign starved for resources gives me too many 1-2E wizard flashbacks. Cast my sleep and throw my darts. 😭

I crunched it out and throwing darts is more effective than 5E cantrips at least until later in the game where running out of spells isn't to likely.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
If using point buy/standard array then the monk needs to use the same system as everyone else, no rolling. Though in games I run and play in, rolling is the default.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I find too much focus is put on ability scores when it often matter little in the end. The modifier difference is only +1 between a 17 vs 15, which is the maxtimum for Point Buy or Standard Array that is guaranteed to have. The chance to rolling higher are small, and the chance of rolling average higher. In the end building a Monk using any of the ability scores generating methods may vary slightly and still produce a character fun to play unless numbers breaks it for you.

ECMO3

Hero
I mean the chance of rolling higher than 17. It's like 9%
Chance of rolling 1 or more 17+ on 3d6 is 10.6%, (4 combinations out of 216 for each ability or 1.85% per ability six times)

The chance of rolling one or more 17+ on 4d6 drop 1 is 30% and 17 is a much higher than point buy or standard array as the highest number you get on either of those is 15.

The chance of rolling TWO or more 15+ on 4d6 drop 1 is 42%

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads