• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would You Let a Monk Roll for Stats?

Dausuul

Legend
The class is MAD and standard array kinda punishes that.
The game punishes that. Rolling for stats means you get a chance to escape that punishment; you also get a chance to be screwed even harder. On net, you come out roughly the same.

If a class suffers from MAD and you're looking to fix it, there are several straightforward, sensible ways to tackle it:
  • Grant a stat boost to members of that class (e.g., +2 to Wisdom or Dexterity, whichever is lower). If you allow multiclassing, you may want to push this feature back to level 5 or so.
  • House-rule that class features which rely on the secondary stat will instead use the primary stat.
  • House-rule that class features which rely on the secondary stat will instead use a flat value.
  • Adjust the standard array, or the point buy formula, to allow a wider spread of high stats for all characters.
I don't see why you'd want to implement a fix that just randomly doesn't work sometimes.

I use point buy but let you add 1 to your highest or 2 to another stat. Helps with the MAD.

The problem with the monk can't be solved by rolling well on stats. It's a fundamental design issue.

Zardnaar

Legend
I use point buy but let you add 1 to your highest or 2 to another stat. Helps with the MAD.

The problem with the monk can't be solved by rolling well on stats. It's a fundamental design issue.

Tbf the fame wasn't designed around standard array.

They overturned some classes though espicially charisma ones.

ECMO3

Hero

I would disagree with this. While rolling well on a Monk will not balance it against full casters with average or even poor rolls, it will balance the class against other martials with poor or average rolls.

A 30 point buy equivalent Monk will be better in most pillars than a 27 point buy fighter or 23 point buy Paladin.

Zardnaar

Legend
I would disagree with this. While rolling well on a Monk will not balance it against full casters with average or even poor rolls, it will balance the class against other martials with poor or average rolls.

A 30 point buy equivalent Monk will be better in most pillars than a 27 point buy fighter or 23 point buy Paladin.

Other classes benefit less even with the same stats.

Ubermonk after racials 20 dex, 18 wisdom, 16 con.

Fighter 20 str or dex, 18 con. 16 whatever.

That third high stat very limited use.

My ubermomk was something like 16/16/18 or 16/18/18.

Monks have always been MAD even in AD&D. Saw a decent on in 3.5 as well once again multiple high scores, strength based over dexterity (had high dex as well).

jasper

Rotten DM
In a point buy or standard array game.

Years ago I did play a Monk and it kicked ass. I didn't really bother with stunning strikes though and a rolled somewhat decent scores 18/16 as best two scores iirc. Way of fists iirc.

Stunning strike targets con scores vad save. A ki point was two extra attacks plus potential trips feeding advantage on melee strikes for you and anyone else.

The class is MAD and standard array kinda punishes that.
Sure. Sure. But the moment Bob rolls low, and suicides the PC, he pays me $1k, and $500 each of the players.

Really I consider putting scores you didn't roll on a character sheet a form of fudging numbers. Oh, sure, they're average... but you didn't roll them so they don't count.

So, yeah, you should always roll scores for Monks... just like you should for every other character.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Personally: No, I would NOT give a monk player the option of rolling stats in a game that was otherwise point buy. That sort of things smacks of favoritism and double-standards to other players.

If I felt the need to buff the monk (or any other character) I would include or create magic items tailored to their benefit; or invent alternate class options / subclasses representing secret, lost, or specialized knowledge. Or sometimes just provide leads that a character could chose to pursue as a side quest before or during actual missions - so that it hopefully comes across as something they specifically searched for and earned. I don't like inconsistent standards. I think they lead to resentments.

Last edited:

Remove ads