D&D General Would you like there to be a new publication of Dark Sun?

Would you like there to be a new publication of Dark Sun?

• Yes (with or without additional conditions)

Votes: 88 65.7%
  • No (with or without additional conditions)

Votes: 46 34.3%

Jasperak

Adventurer
I'm so bad at this marketing stuff! Link to the website has been added (here and above) and Patreon for the development process is coming soon. Nothing yet on DriveThru since the project is just beginning but our goal will be a full setting book in both 5e and Pathfinder Second Edition flavours and if folks think that intermediate materials like a Foe Folio for a dozen or so monsters would be a great extra way to gain support, that might be quite possible.
No worries. Didn't realize it was still in production.

cwallach

Explorer
I didn't care for Dark Sun when it was first released and am not interested in a 5e version. There is also the opportunity cost. I'd much rather see a whole new setting.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
Hi all, considering how heated the discussion here has been since WotC stated they would not revisit Dark Sun, I thought I'd ask how many of you would have liked them to do so (in an ad-hoc unscientific convenience sample).

The poll is deliberately simple, so that you can answer, on balance, which way you lean, and explain your reasoning and any conditions or complicating factors downthread.

Importantly, it's not meant to be asking "should WotC publish new Dark Sun books?", but rather do you want new Dark Sun books to be published.

...Also, please don't continue the argument from the other thread here. Ty :)
So it’s not clear in the OP if the choice is whether we want WotC to publish Dark Sun or someone publish Dark Sun, bc my vote is the latter. I definitely DON’T want WotC to develop and publish it in-house. I think there are great writers and designers who can do it justice (and hopefully make a lot of money from it).

I voted but rescinded it bc I don’t want WotC anywhere near it.

EDIT: guess I can only change my vote, not withdraw it. So it’s a resounding NO - give it to someone else to try.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
So it’s not clear in the OP if the choice is whether we want WotC to publish Dark Sun or someone publish Dark Sun, bc my vote is the latter. I definitely DON’T want WotC to develop and publish it in-house. I think there are great writers and designers who can do it justice (and hopefully make a lot of money from it).

EDIT: guess I can only change my vote, not withdraw it. So it’s a resounding NO - give it to someone else to try.
If you read the opening post, it explains things more clearly. Your answer should be yes since wotc making it isn't a requirement, just wanting a new and updated dark sun is.

squibbles

Adventurer

@cbwjm has it right. My intention was that preferences of "WotC delegates a 3rd party publisher to write Dark Sun" or "WotC sells the IP" or "WotC releases Dark Sun to the DMs Guild" would fall on the lean yes side of the poll, since the question "would you like there to be a new publication of Dark Sun" does not explicitly mention WotC just whether you want to see further content set in the setting.

But, by all means, interpret what a yes and a no are for yourself, and go with what suits you.

Stormonu

Legend
Yeah, if WotC isn’t going to give it a go, hand it off to someone who will.

‘That was something I liked in 3E - Arhause was doing Ravenloft, Margaret Weiss Production was doing Dragonlance. If only some had picked up Dark Sun then, maybe they could do it again.

Maybe there is an opened door by means of other media product, like a videogame or comic, but they will be stopped if they fear too much the complains by some toxic lobby who proclaims to be the voice of the people but they only want money.

My suggestion is after the cósmic event linked with Vecna, Athas will be replace into a new "Athaspace", the demiplane of the desolation, with more realms besides the Athasian Tablelands. The other domains would be something like the same doll but with a different dress, or a different doll wearing the same dress. Other "domain" would be the "clone" of the Athasian Tablelands after the Pentad Prism, when several sorcerer-kings have fallen, but the fight against the defilers and the slavery still has to continue.

Rather than a full blown setting to start, maybe just do a single adventure path book in the setting ala Curse of Strahd that can focus the on the feel of the setting through a new or rebooted old adventure that is told in such a way to avoid problematic content. If it is successful in the fan community as Curse of Strahd or at least indicates there is an interest there they could then look at doing a setting reboot ala what they did with the Ravenloft book.

Honestly, I wish they had gone with this approach for Spelljammer... a single adventure path book with enough info to play in the setting followed by a fully detailed setting later rather than what we got.

As for Dark Sun, another alternative would be a BIPOC written collection of adventures for the setting in the vein of Journeys Through The Radiant Citadel but set on Athas and with a non-hopepunk tone.

Remove ads