Would you like to see an Elric Saga Movie(s)?

Elric Movie(s)?

• Yes! Elric is the Champion Eternal!

Votes: 58 78.4%
  • No! Elric is a chaotic evil freak albino!

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Eh..whatever. LOTR was good enough for me.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Who's Elric?

Votes: 4 5.4%

Ulrick

First Post
I've got to compliment the Dragon Lance Movie thread.

Personally, I'd love to Elric of Melnibone on the big screen stealing people's souls with Stormbringer.

I think it would have a similiar tone with the movie Excalibur, except more of a dark fantasy feel.

The problem would be chosing which stories to make a film out of. It would almost have to be an ongoing series.

What do other people think?

Ulrick

Last edited:

kkoie

First Post
I would personally very much enjoy it. But a book like Elric of Melnibone would not do well at the box office. For one thing the first book is a lot slower paced than the other books. That and the budget would be pretty phat, if they are at all loyal to the book. It would probably be better as an animated film like LOTR origonally was. Not that a live action would not be good. But when you walk into a diner in some small burg, you have at least vegas odds that some shmuck will had been familiar with LOTR or The Hobbit before the movie came out. But how many 'normals' are familiar with Micheal Moorcock, let alone Elric?

K Koie

SkeletonKey Ed

Explorer
Elric movies would be great!

Who could be cast as Elric? I think with the success of LOTR, we will see a lot of fantasy stuff popping up. I hope they do a quality job on whatever comes out of Hollywood next.

I read an interview with Ridley Scott a few years ago saying that Alien and Blade Runner were inspired by Star Wars. I hope some great directors are inspired to make some great fantasy films. It's about time.

:) Ed

Ulrick

First Post
I really wouldn't expect an Elric movie to be as popular as LOTR. But I would hope that movie makers would give as much quality and talent to and Elric movie as they did with LOTR...none of this Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie crap.

And yes, I believe such a movie would be an acquired taste. Sort of like Conan: The Barbarian. Not everyone likes that movie. Given some of things that happen in the books. It would probably get an "R" rating.

But I can easily picture a movie trailer with Elric standing admist wind and torrential rain unshealthing Stormbringer. The sword seems to howl. Elric raises Stormbringer and shouts:

"Arioch! Arioch!
Blood and souls for thee Arioch!"

Cut to: Words in jagged white lettering--

ELRIC: SONG OF THE BLACKSWORD

based on the works of Micheal Moorcock.

Fade to:

Coming Soon to a theater near you...

Turlogh

Explorer
I would like to see this happen (has there been scripts written and such since the 70's?) but I am not sure if there is an actor who could portray Elric.
It would need a very big budget and a really good director for this to work.

Black Omega

First Post
I'd much rather see an Elric movie than Dragonlance. A pale angsty character, as much villain as hero, the total opposite of Conan. If done right it would be amazing.

Aaron L

Hero
I would love to see it, but it would have be done right or it could turn VERY wierd. Psychadelic wierd. But if done right it would be spectacular.

Tortoise

First Post
An Elric movie would be interesting, but more than that I'd love a Fafhrd and Grey Mouser (Lankhmar) movie if kept true to style and well written and acted.

Thorntangle

First Post
SkeletonKey Ed said:
Who could be cast as Elric? I think with the success of LOTR, we will see a lot of fantasy stuff popping up.

Orlando Bloom? He's lithe enough, but I don't think his face is long or harsh enough. Maybe a bit too boyish. Iggy Pop?

Remove ads