Would you like to see an Elric Saga Movie(s)?

Elric Movie(s)?

• Yes! Elric is the Champion Eternal!

Votes: 58 78.4%
  • No! Elric is a chaotic evil freak albino!

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Eh..whatever. LOTR was good enough for me.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Who's Elric?

Votes: 4 5.4%

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
Add me to the list that would be in favor of an Elric movie. I would love to see that scene wit Elric yelling "Blood and Souls for my Lord Arioch!" That would be very cool.:cool:

I agree that Elric does not have a base as LOTR but since LOTR books have been selling well again since before last summer more and more people are looking into this genre. I know at work (I work in the largest bookstore here in BR) when people as about LOTR if I can I mention a few of other authors - Martin, Moorcock, Eddings, Jordan, Goodkind and Brooks- just to name some, a lot of poeple already seem to know Jordan, he seems to have crossed over into what is called the mainstream (what I mean by that is that some people have told me they have never read SciFi/Fantasy before but are addicted to Jordan. They are the same poeple who ask 2 weeks after the new one has come out when the next one will be out- answer: 2 years).

Also I'm sure someone in the film industry has read Moorcock and has thought of doing an Elric movie. Hopefully with the success of LOTR we'll see more well done fantasy movies.

I'd love to see a great magical sword on screen since Anduril was not in FotR and though I loved the movie Excalibur and the sword (I'd love to get a replica of it) except for a couple of scenes we didn't see its power. Stormbringer always moans, IIRC emits a black radiance, sucks souls, and looks just plain cool with its red runes. I'd love to see it on screen. Though I don't know who would play Eric.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I think Elric would make a better TV show.

Sort of like in the vein of the Fugitive, the Incredible Hulk, etc.

Elrics wanders from place to place, either causing or fixing some sort of trouble. That's more or less how the books go.

In a movie, the best actor to play him would be David Bowie, I think. For a TV show, I dunno.

Rhialto

First Post
Berandor said:
Ah, yes, Corum.

Well, then I won't have to vote for chaotic evil...

I don't know Elric then, but Corum was bad, really bad.

Berandor

Excuse me?!!!

Corum ruled! He was this doomed warrior fighting for a lost cause who managed to help bring about the deaths of the gods! I mean, excuse me, but that rocked!

Urr sorry about that. I get emotional where the the Prince in the Scarlet Robe is concerned. He just never had the following that Elric had, and so must be defended more vigilantly.

William Ronald

Explorer
Not to mention that he believed he was the last of his kind for a long time. The survivor's guilt he felt was very realistic.

Also, I loved the portrayal of Lord Arioch in the first Book, the Knight of Swords.

He also, for a Moorcock hero, was succesful in love.

Neowolf

First Post
That would be great! I'm in the process of reading the entire Eternal Champion series right now (which is actually longer than Wheel of Time currently is, if you include the books about Elric, von Bek, Corum, Erekose, etc.), and it's got me enthralled. :D

It'd be hard to do right though. :rolleyes:

Mike Moorcock would love to see a *good* Elric movie done, but whoever made it would have to let Mike have a lot of control over things. This is not a bad thing.

As far as actors for Elric, one fellow Mike had positive feelings about was Christopher Lee, before he got too old for the part. Lee was reportedly eager to play the role, too.

As Elric was written as a kind of violent reaction against the stereotypes of heroic fantasy, the best time for an Elric movie is just after the glut of inevitable, obligatory Tolkien derivative movies. Save the princess? Save the world? Bah. This is Elric, and he does the exact opposite. Muahaha!

Anyone who is interested in reading Mike Moorcock's recent thoughts on this, and everything else, would do well to visit his website at www.multiverse.org. Dig in the right places and you'll find the Q&A section, updated very frequently.

Finally, if any of you have not yet tracked down and devoured The Dreamthief's Daughter, shame on you! The albino is back, and better than ever. Two more novels on the way, too.

"My master is my slave." Black Blade, Blue Oyster Cult

Neowolf

First Post
Is The Dreamthief's Daughter set after Revenge of the Rose? I bought Revenge not too long ago, but have been a bit disappointed with it so far. It seems to meander a bit (moreso than the other Elric books I've read), and one or two things just so far have seemed downright goofy. Ah well, just my two coppers. :)

The Dreamthief's Daughter is entirely independent of Revenge of the Rose and all the others. It's hard to pin down exactly when in Elric's life TDD takes place. Doesn't really matter, either.

Rose is my favorite of the Elric novels, though I haven't read it in a long while. It's a lot deeper than the others, and is definitely worth reading. The Rose is a character who pops up in a number of Moorcock's later novels, and she's pretty interesting.

Remove ads