• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you like to see RPGA modules in Dungeon magazine?

Would you like to see RPGA modules in Dungeon magazine?

• Poll closed .

kenobi65

First Post
The poll, honestly, isn't clear.

Are you talking about having RPGA modules reprinted in Dungeon, once they've been retired from RPGA play? Or, are you talking about Dungeon running modules that can be played using RPGA characters, for RPGA credit?

(If you don't play in the RPGA, the question may not make any sense at all, but if you do, you know that those are two totally different ideas.)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm really against RPGA adventures being reprinted in Dungeon. Frankly, I expect they'd have to jump through a whole lot of hoops to meet the submission guidelines. I'd much rather have the best RPGA authors write original work for the magazine.

Astraldrake

First Post
Adamantly- NO!

I realize that Polyhedron used to be part of Dungeon, and it pretty much sucked then, IMO. There's a reason Dungeon went to its current format- low readership and subscriptions were down. I suspect because the RPGA content was dragging it down. I think putting more RPGA content, adventures, etc back into Dungeon would be a big step backward.

20-15 years ago, when the RPGA wasn't so cliquish, isolationistic and self involved, Polyhedron was a separate publication. It ruled. They did more than just D&D- more than just whatever WotC (then T$R) just wants to pimp this month. It was a useful fan magazine back then. I think the RPGA has now devolved from a fan club into just another marketing and public relations tool for WotC. I think it is the end result of believing one's own propaganda.

There's also an issue of the modules themselves. Back when I ran RPGA events, the quality was a little shakey. Many of the modules were becoming comedic, and almost a little juvenile. More recently, Green Regent and a few Game Day modules seemed well put together, but those would be the exception and not the rule. I would feel sorry for the Dungeon editor that got stuck with the task of rewriting some of these things. Most of the RPGA modules I've seen lately seem to be linear, formulaic and at times, not terribly well edited. It's not the quality of material I'd want to see in Dungeon.

At any rate, please keep RPGA modules out of Dungeon. If RPGA people want points for the modules printed in Dungeon, let them. That's their thing. Okay. It doesn't matter to the rest of us one way or the other.

I will say that this is >just< my opinion as someone who has become disenfranchised and disappointed with the RPGA several times over. I suspect I'm not alone.

Last edited:

ajanders

Explorer
I'll follow the prevailing line of thought here.
I've tried to be in the RPGA twice, and left each time. The people are very nice, but the adventures are terrible.
If you want to link the RPGA and Dungeon, get the RPGA to adopt the Dungeon writers guides for their adventures, and probably even the adventures themselves. Don't feed anything the other way; there's no value-add.

aja

NiTessine

Explorer
Like "Mad God's Key", a Dungeon adventure that could also be run as a Living Greyhawk adventure? Sure.

Retired Living Greyhawk, Legacy of the Green Regent or Mark of Heroes adventures released in Dungeon? No. Perhaps as heavily rewritten and a lot longer versions, but the normal LG format would take up too much space for a very short adventure.

Imruphel

First Post
No. The RPGA adventures that I have seen have been uniformly terrible from 2E, 3E and now 3.5E. They all come across as poorly written homebrews.

X-Marks!

First Post
Yes and No.

Well, straight on, maybe not, based on feedback of quality 'as is'.
However, I certainly wouldn't mind an all-RPGA adventures specialty issue each year, wherein quite a few of the best old adventures were rewritten and made available to those of us who were never a part of the organization.
But, saying that, I'd want this to be a "Bonus Issue" like the Dragon Annuals used to be (or a specialty-buy like the upcoming repaint D&D Mini will be to Dragon subscribers only). Have the best RPGAers do most of the grunt-work, then get the Paizo staff to do the polishing-up work on such a product, as I know they have plenty of work on their plates as is. :uhoh:

Glyfair

Explorer
I'd like to note that technically all the Dungeon adventures are "RPGA Adventures" since you can run them for RPGA credit (unless the RPGA has dropped the ball again and stopped updating their database).

I think the question is supposed to be "Would you like to see previously published RPGA adventures...."

Personally, I'm against it overall, but there are a few exceptions. I'd wouldn't mind seeing limited release, quality adventures make their appearance in Dungeon. The concept of "Shard of Eberron" appearing in Dungeon was fine with me. I just wish the adventures were stronger, more rounded, adventures.

smilinggm

First Post
I am very active in the RPGA and I voted NO. I do not want to see RPGA mods in Dungeon Magazine. As I and others have pointed out in other threads, the RPGA is not for everyone. There are currently about 180-200 mods available for play from the RPGA. There are a fairly steady stream of new mods being released each month. So I have plenty of RPGA mods to play. Dungeon magazine prints 3-4 mods each month thats 36-48 mods a year. I have been collecting Dungeon magazine for years. On average I have about 150 D&D 3.5 mods from Dungeon Magazine, that I have not been able to play or run yet. This is of course not counting the approximate 150 mods Dungeon Published during the 3.0 D&D era. From other sources I have about 150-200 more to add in. When I add the rest of my collection from OD&D, 1st ED, and 2nd ED that I could convert or just play as is the numbers realy start to add up. I estimate that in my personal collection I have close to 2000 mods.

Numbers aside IMHO I do not feal that Dungeon is the correct place to print RPGA mods. All of the mods in Dungeon are currently RPGA enabled. So if I want to play Dungeon Mods for RPGA credit I can. Again not everyone wants to be a member of the RPGA, nor do they want to follow the RPGA guidlines. IMHO this is the best of both worlds. No I cannot use my "Living" Characters in these mods. But that is OK! I have other characters that are not RPGA "Living" Characters. And I like to play them also. This gives me more options.

The RPGA has in place a good system for requesting and downloading mods. It is easy for me to Log in to the RPGA and request a mod for play. The RPGA releases mods each month. Dungeon magazine arrives at my mailbox each month, This leaves me with more mods than I have time to play or run.

So to end my rambling NO I do not want to see More RPGA mods in Dungeon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads