D&D 5E Would you of preferred this Proficiency Bonus instead of what we got?

Slit518

Adventurer
The current Proficiency Bonus is 2-6, and coupled with Expertise is 4-12.

However, I am not a fan of the math, so I was thinking, would you folks prefer a 1-5 Proficiency Bonus, leaving Expertise to be a 2-10 bonus? And for a half bonus we could Proficiency Bonus divided by 2 rounded up, so it would still be 1-3?

Thoughts?

Slit518

Adventurer
My thoughts:
People just like to tinker with the system for the sake of it. Would you care to explain why you are "not a fan" of the current progression? And how would your houserule make the game better?

It is more of a math thing.

For the sake of the example we'll assume a character rolls a 20 and has a +5 bonus in their Stat. Then we will do normal Proficiency result and an Expertise result.

Current Proficiency Bonus:
20 + 5 + 6 = 31
With Expertise:
20 + 5 + 12 = 37

Modified Proficiency Bonus:
20 + 5 + 5 = 30
With Expertise:
20 + 5 + 10 = 35

Maybe it is some OCD I have, but the math is more clean. The +2 at level 1 is nice and all, but the later levels screw up the math. Maybe it was originally intended with 18 being the final Ability Score with a +4 to the modified bonus instead of a +5 because of an Ability Score of 20?

Superchunk77

Adventurer
If anything, I would have preferred the game use the 3d6 bell curve instead of the d20 for the core mechanic. 3d6 emphasizes your ability modifier and proficiency bonus over dumb luck on the roll.

There's nothing worse than making an important Stealth roll with a +8 bonus, only to roll a 2 on the d20. The 3d6 makes rolls around 10 or 11 far more likely, so your modifier makes a bigger difference while still leaving some variation for random events/circumstances.

Slit518

Adventurer
If anything, I would have preferred the game use the 3d6 bell curve instead of the d20 for the core mechanic. 3d6 emphasizes your ability modifier and proficiency bonus over dumb luck on the roll.

There's nothing worse than making an important Stealth roll with a +8 bonus, only to roll a 2 on the d20. The 3d6 makes rolls around 10 or 11 far more likely, so your modifier makes a bigger difference while still leaving some variation for random events/circumstances.

Which game systems use this 3d6 mechanic? I have been collecting systems as of late.

Helpful NPC Thom

Adventurer
The current Proficiency Bonus is 2-6, and coupled with Expertise is 4-12.

However, I am not a fan of the math, so I was thinking, would you folks prefer a 1-5 Proficiency Bonus, leaving Expertise to be a 2-10 bonus? And for a half bonus we could Proficiency Bonus divided by 2 rounded up, so it would still be 1-3?

Thoughts?
My preference is that proficiency changes your modifier to a +4 or adds +2 to your total, whichever is more beneficial. Expertise should be changed entirely.

It is more of a math thing.

For the sake of the example we'll assume a character rolls a 20 and has a +5 bonus in their Stat. Then we will do normal Proficiency result and an Expertise result.

Current Proficiency Bonus:
20 + 5 + 6 = 31
With Expertise:
20 + 5 + 12 = 37

Modified Proficiency Bonus:
20 + 5 + 5 = 30
With Expertise:
20 + 5 + 10 = 35

Maybe it is some OCD I have, but the math is more clean. The +2 at level 1 is nice and all, but the later levels screw up the math. Maybe it was originally intended with 18 being the final Ability Score with a +4 to the modified bonus instead of a +5 because of an Ability Score of 20?
Sorry, I still can't see the problem. You just posted a bunch of numbers but you didn't say anything why the default system is "wrong".

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases