• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you play in this game?

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I mean, I'm not really sure what the selling point is here. "It's an rpg, only without your input!"

What this tells me is that you didn't read what I wrote, in which case you're not a player I'd want in my game anyway.

Regardless, the overwhelmingly common sentiment seems to be that this is a bad idea. Although posters to this thread could be considered too small a sample, at the end of the day I'm already trying to appeal to a very small percentage of an already small population of players. So statistically, this sample is significant enough that the idea is blown out of the water.

For the record, I would've played in the game... after having read everything that was posted about it.

DM Howard

Explorer
I know many will say it looks very rail road, but I would play in such a game in a heart beat. Roleplaying is definitely more important to me than mechanics.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I'd be interested in trying a game like this out and working with the GM on it, but then I'm up for just about anything, and like trying things that are novel.

On the railroad aspect, the best quote I've ever heard, is that I'll happily ride the railroad, as long as it goes to Awesometown. So if you bring an awesome fun game, heck yeah, I'd play it, even if just to be a part of the story you're trying to tell.

What this game sounds like to me is a human moderated computer RPG... and as I've spent hundreds of hours with cRPGs, why not?

S'mon

Legend
What this tells me is that you didn't read what I wrote, in which case you're not a player I'd want in my game anyway.

Regardless, the overwhelmingly common sentiment seems to be that this is a bad idea. Although posters to this thread could be considered too small a sample, at the end of the day I'm already trying to appeal to a very small percentage of an already small population of players. So statistically, this sample is significant enough that the idea is blown out of the water.

For the record, I would've played in the game... after having read everything that was posted about it.

I have a player who's more into roleplay than charop, I level up her PC for her. She seems happy. I'm happy to take on any changes she suggests though, and I don't have the PC planned out 30 levels in advance.

I dunno, it feels weird to be defending Kzach (and almost the only one doing so), but I have had a lot of success with similar approaches on a smaller scale, and for a strongly themed campaign I think there are major benefits. As long as the players are strongly focused on RP & interaction rather than minmax dungeon-bashing, and they trust the DM not to be a railroading* dick, then I think it could work very well.

Of course there is the issue that Kzach's abrasive personality apparently tends to alienate fellow players, DMs etc. If the players don't trust the DM then it's not going to work. I dunno. :erm:

*Which is not the same as running a linear, goal-oriented campaign!

S'mon

Legend
What this game sounds like to me is a human moderated computer RPG... and as I've spent hundreds of hours with cRPGs, why not?

It's potentially like those CRPGs where you play a set protagonist - you are Deckard in Blade Runner or Solo in Star Wars, for instance. There are huge advantages there for the DM in being able to build a dramatically satisfying, PC-centric campaign, and there's no reason why pre-set PCs should mean railroaded outcomes. You can play Han Solo and decide whether to take on the Death Star or take the money back to Jabba - in the latter case Mark Hamill & Carrie Fisher will shortly be getting new PCs... :lol: ...probably fellow rogue/smuggler types.

The Shaman

First Post
My main question here is, "Would this appeal to you or would you turn your nose up at it?"
No, nothing about this sounds appealing to me.
Kzach said:
I have numerous reasons for wanting to run things this way which I won't go into here as I don't feel they're relevant.
I'd actually like to hear more about those numerous reasons, myself.

Rechan

Adventurer
S'mon said:
I dunno, it feels weird to be defending Kzach (and almost the only one doing so)
Well his primary question is "Would you be interested in this game". Everything else is explaining why the person answering is not.

If it works for some people that's great. Just not most of us who are answering.

Fox Lee

Explorer
My main question here is, "Would this appeal to you or would you turn your nose up at it?"
Without meaning to insult you, I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole. However, I am not your target audience; I am very much a roleplayer, but to me, the mechanics I use to craft my character are integral to expressing their background/personality/style. I wouldn't enjoy a premade character even if I was free to completely determine their background, and I would enjoy a premade character with an existing background even less.

The exception is that perhaps you could manage to make a character who excited me so much, both mechanically and thematically, that I would truly want to play them. But that is not a likely scenario, because I'm ridiculously picky - which is why I would never jump at the idea of a pre-build game.

I'm sure there are people who would like this idea (doesn't this sort of thing happen at cons all the time?) but I'm not one of them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads