D&D 5E Would you require a roll for this?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
There is a chest and the Rogue rolls and detects a trap. A needle trap that would eject into the thief's hand and poison them.

The Rogue's player says that he borrows the Fighters metal gauntlet (which the needle couldn't penetrate) and safely sets off the trap.

Roll for disarm or not?

A needle trap which would poison the thief under what conditions? Seriously, why is someone trapping their chests like this? And what is the rogue trying to do to the trap?

As presented at the very least I'd give the rogue advantage.

ezo

I cast invisibility
A lot really depends on exactly how you rule the trap functions and if the gaunlet actually provides complete protection, or should only offer advantage.

Not knowing further particulars:
  • Disarm with disadvantage to not set off the trap. Wearing the gauntlets makes handling the thieves' tools more difficult.
  • Allow the save with advantage to represent the added protection the gauntlet does provide. The interior "palm" side of gauntlets was often softer leather, so what protection it provides really depends.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
There is a chest and the Rogue rolls and detects a trap. A needle trap that would eject into the thief's hand and poison them.

The Rogue's player says that he borrows the Fighters metal gauntlet (which the needle couldn't penetrate) and safely sets off the trap.

Roll for disarm or not?
I would allow that to automatically bypass the trap.

Poison needle traps aren't interesting enough in play to merit not allowing players to bypass them with clever play.

aco175

Legend
On one hand there are gaps and overlaying plates in a gauntlet where a needle could possible go through.

The other hand says that he already figured out there is a trap, and it is a needle trap, and he could set it off to bypass it. Could he ask the mage to use mage hand and set it off, or use his 10ft pole to flip the lid open, or just have the barbarian throw the chest against the far wall. I would just let him bypass it and move on.

Reynard

Legend
I would allow that to automatically bypass the trap.

Poison needle traps aren't interesting enough in play to merit not allowing players to bypass them with clever play.
This.

Also, letting players use their brains rather than their character sheets for success encourages them to do so more often, which IMO makes for a better and more engaging game for all.

That said: be careful.what you reward, because you will get more of THAT specifically.

Remove ads