• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would you require a roll for this?

greymist

Lurker Extraordinaire
No roll needed. Unless you would normally ask for a roll to set off the trap!

As an old grognard, I would applaud the player’s cleverness. And I would award bonus XP if instead of borrowing the fighter’s gauntlet, they instead said, “It’s all good. Fighter, lift the handle right here, to open it.” :)

demoss

Explorer
Good point, but what if the Thief has low Int? Would you allow it, require a test or just say the character is not clever enough to come up with this solution?
Are you going to tell a low int fighter they can't use common sense tactics without making an int roll?

If that's your playstyle, then yeah, to be consistent you should require an int roll. I would not personally find such a game very fun, though.

Horwath

Legend
I would allow that to automatically bypass the trap.

Poison needle traps aren't interesting enough in play to merit not allowing players to bypass them with clever play.
this.

if player find a way to bypass a trap, let them.

That is why in every dungeon we carry one corpse with a rope attached.

two PCs throw the corpse down the hallway as far as the can and then drag it back to trigger any pressure plates.

Andvari

Hero
this.

if player find a way to bypass a trap, let them.

That is why in every dungeon we carry one corpse with a rope attached.

two PCs throw the corpse down the hallway as far as the can and then drag it back to trigger any pressure plates.
Gives me an idea for a trap that releases a gas capable of animating the dead. The more who fall prey to it, the more dangerous it becomes.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
There is a chest and the Rogue rolls and detects a trap. A needle trap that would eject into the thief's hand and poison them.

The Rogue's player says that he borrows the Fighters metal gauntlet (which the needle couldn't penetrate) and safely sets off the trap.

Roll for disarm or not?
Depends on the context.

A gauntlet actually made of solid metal, mitten-type, won't be able to open the chest. One that is articulated enough to allow someone to spring the lock (and thus set off the trap) will have sufficient weak points that the trap could still harm them, but the gauntlet will certainly make it harder for the needle to get through, as would the fact that the thief (presumably) knows where the needle would come from. A more common gauntlet, which would be just leather with a coating of metal plates on the outer surface, would not provide any better protection than the leather gloves I presume the thief is wearing.

So, if the gauntlets are good enough to block the trap, they're not going to work to open it in the first place. No roll, doesn't work, but it's a clever idea, try again with something more flexible, or something that works from a longer distance away (e.g., repurpose a crowbar to open the lock from the side.)
If the gauntlet is articulated enough to do that, then it's almost certainly not solid plates, and thus has weak points on the hands where a dart could slip through, but it'll be difficult. Roll with a bonus (or roll against a lower target number, same thing.)
If the gloves are flexible because they're leather with riveted metal plates on the back of the hand/wrist (which most armored gauntlets would be, especially for low-level characters), then they provide no special protection, roll as usual.

Andvari

Hero
Depends on the context.
I'd probably say that if it's an actual plated gauntlet, even with articulations, the rogue would still not be in danger, as he knows how the needle would come out. However, if the rogue instructed the fighter to open the chest, without knowledge of the trap, the fighter might still be susceptible despite wearing the same gauntlet.

A bonus question to ponder for GMs: If the fighter had opened the chest in the first place, do you think the fact the fighter might be wearing a gauntlet, and thus possibly have extra protection against the needle, would occur to you?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I'd probably say that if it's an actual plated gauntlet, even with articulations, the rogue would still not be in danger, as he knows how the needle would come out. However, if the rogue instructed the fighter to open the chest, without knowledge of the trap, the fighter might still be susceptible despite wearing the same gauntlet.
Well, articulations come in a lot of forms--but in many cases, the "inner" part of the gauntlet is actually going to be chain on a bed of cloth/leather. Hence why I'm skeptical that it would provide complete protection. Yes, it's (much) better than nothing. But I'm not convinced that chain on a bed of cloth would be enough, on its own, to do that.

But I would certainly let the player keep thinking and spitballing ideas for what could do that. Hence the above "perhaps a crowbar, so you're opening the chest from several feet away."

A bonus question to ponder for GMs: If the fighter had opened the chest in the first place, do you think the fact the fighter might be wearing a gauntlet, and thus possibly have extra protection against the needle, would occur to you?
It might not, but mostly because I am forgetful, not because I would have any intent of it. If the player brought up "hey, my plate gauntlets should help!" then I would be happy to consider it.

Remove ads