• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you Swap 3.5e for Exalted?

Would you swap your 3.5e core rulebooks for an EXALTED 2nd Edition core rulebook

• Yes

Votes: 56 17.7%
  • No

Votes: 230 72.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 31 9.8%

• Poll closed .

WhatGravitas

Explorer
glass said:
I missed that little detail too; I just assumed they'd end up in the used book trade somehow. Not that it matters to me since the offer isn't available in the UK, but change my hypothetical 'yes' to a hypothetical 'no'!
Same here... book burning destroying is bad. And I'm not in the US.

Cheers, LT.

Miar

First Post
I'm not sure I understand all the fuss about book destruction in this context. Book destruction done in the name of destroying knowledge I have a problem with. This however is not that. While it would be nice to see those books get donated somewhere WhiteWolf seems to be doing what most publishers do though under slightly different circumstances. It is normal policy for books that are unsold/unwanted to be destroyed. You can see the wiki note about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripped_book

I just did a quick search in regards to Wizards of the Coast doing this and here:

http://www.wizards.com/books/dnd/samples/886220000.pdf

on one of there sample books you can see their policy of doing exactly this. On page four they talk about their policy regarding stripped books. If you get one some how it is illegal. They do this of course to save money because getting all those books that are unsold shipped back would be expensive. As it would be for WhiteWolf.

I don't think this book exchange thing ever is necessarily the best way to go about marketing but going on about the evils of book destruction does not make much sense.
If you do you should apply the same to Wizards as well.

Last edited:

Darkwolf71

First Post
There is a huge difference between a company disposing of their own excess stock (whether donating them somewhere would be a better option or not is a different topic) and a company destroying their competitors book.

@ Imaro, WW is giving the books away for free. They are getting exactly zero reimbursement for the 2e books. They would get the same zero amount without destroying the PHBs.

Engilbrand

First Post
A quote on the first page got me thinking about 4E and Exalted. I started a thread in the 4E forum about trying to use the Exalted setting to play 4E if anyone is interested.

Giving away a book? And not to a personal friend of mine? Or as a present to someone else? And the book is going to be destroyed?

No, probably not.

Picking up Exalted? Maybe. I picked up Monte Cooks World of Darkness, too, and I don't expect to play it soon. Pretty pictures and a good read is enough for me...

Zinegata

First Post
Though I think it's a clever marketing ploy, I don't think Exalted is really that great of a game in terms of both mechanics (which are confusing) and fluff (which is rather disjointed).

I would have preferred it if they offered Scion rather than Exalted.

Midknightsun

Explorer
I already have it, so no. Its not a bad game, I just don't have enough player interest to get them to learn a fairly complicated and very different system. And I feel a little uneasy about the nature of their promotion. Granted, it is clever, but very. . . aggressive.

Miar

First Post
Darkwolf71 said:
There is a huge difference between a company disposing of their own excess stock (whether donating them somewhere would be a better option or not is a different topic) and a company destroying their competitors book.

@ Imaro, WW is giving the books away for free. They are getting exactly zero reimbursement for the 2e books. They would get the same zero amount without destroying the PHBs.

I agree which is why I said it may not be the best marketing decision. My comments were directed at those just lamenting the burning of books in and of itself. I also don't really think they thought of it as lets shred 2,500 copies of the PH. That's not going to make any really difference in the number of PHs around, just remove most of them from dusty bookshelves where there not going to be used. Those players that would be interested in this are not interested in 3.5 anymore. Many other players who are moving to 4E will also not be interested in them anymore. There are probably going to be a lot of used copies floating around. I'm sure they thought of it as a neat marketing gimick, one that would only attract people who had a real interest in Exalted. Shipping would probably have been a deal breaker for it so they went with a common practice in the book industry. It looks bad but I don't think it was intentional (there is nothing to gain, these people probably grew up on D&D and doubtful don't hate it enough to jump up and down on piles of burning PHs) just bad marketing.

Remove ads