D&D General Would You Take This Deal?

Zardnaar

Legend
DM offers you a blade. Any physical attacks you make with a weapon deal double damage.

Your current maximum and current hit points are reduced by 75%.

Deal or no deal? I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Nightmare difficulty with a combo that gives me 350% damage but I can't use any abilities and -75% health.

Thought about same deal in D&D.

dave2008

Legend
DM offers you a blade. Any physical attacks you make with a weapon deal double damage.

Deal or no deal? I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Nightmare difficulty with a combo that gives me 350% damage but I can't use any abilities and -75% health.

There are lot of factors. But the only way I would take that deal is if I was low level and it was a one time reduction, so that I could gain hit points as I level. 75% of 1st level HP is not a big deal if I can gain HP for the next 19 levels.

Stalker0

Legend
No way, you would be waaaaay too squishy. The main issue in the 5e system is this.... you quickly get to the level where its very difficult for a single attack to kill you, that is a major cushion of protection in the core system. At 25% of your original health, you are at that danger zone where at low HP even a half way decent attack can kill you, that's too much for mere double damage.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

75% is too big of a drop, that would take a d6 wizard down to 1hp/level & since it's affecting con bonus to hp too they wouldn't even climb t hp/lvel till 18con. dropping hit dice by a size might be ok & the whole thing would be reasonable for some classes too

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The deal as further explained: Pass.
I played a 4e character that could not improve AC (poor build choices; the system was new at the time). Being high-level and blowing off powerful monster attacks vs Fort/Refl/Will did not help when the peasants with pitchforks got upset.
Being a one-hit kill to most foes, does not sound any better.

pming

Legend

No. Definitely not. The saying, "It's all fine and dandy until someone looses an eye" comes to mind. That's what the game would be like.
"I win! Yay!"
"I win! Yay!"
"I win! Yay!"
"I win! Yay!"
"I win! Yay!"
[falls into 30' pit and dies]
"I loose. Game over."

;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Remove ads