D&D General Would You Take This Deal?

Zardnaar

Legend
DM offers you a blade. Any physical attacks you make with a weapon deal double damage.

Your current maximum and current hit points are reduced by 75%.

Deal or no deal? I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Nightmare difficulty with a combo that gives me 350% damage but I can't use any abilities and -75% health.

Thought about same deal in D&D.

Zardnaar

Legend
In D&D I don't think I would take it most of the time.

A few of you have convinced me otherwise however with things like archers. A hunter ranger for example.

In my game on nightmare mode you tend to die in 1-2 hits anyway. Unless you build around it or dedicated tank.

Slit518

Adventurer
DM offers you a blade. Any physical attacks you make with a weapon deal double damage.

Your current maximum and current hit points are reduced by 75%.

Deal or no deal? I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Nightmare difficulty with a combo that gives me 350% damage but I can't use any abilities and -75% health.

Thought about same deal in D&D.

No, I wouldn't want to run around with barely any hit points just to deal 2d8 + X damage, assuming it is a longsword. Or heck, even 4d6 if it is a greatsword.

Oofta

Legend
In D&D I don't think I would take it most of the time.

A few of you have convinced me otherwise however with things like archers. A hunter ranger for example.

In my game on nightmare mode you tend to die in 1-2 hits anyway. Unless you build around it or dedicated tank.
That's why I was asking about sneak attack. If you have a PC that always attacks from range, always hides it might work. I don't think it would be worth it, but there becomes a certain point where increasing damage (to say X3 damage or X4 instead of X2) will balance things out in theory. Also depends on the party. Are you using Tasha's and can create a half-orc but swap dex for strength so you get Relentless Endurance? Have a caster with enough healing or Aura of Health?

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Negative. At first, it'll feel like this.

1611612057762.png

At levels 1-2, this would be great. Most monsters will have a relatively harder time hitting you, and one hit with a double-damage weapon will destroy most foes.

After that, it'll feel like this.

1611612332517.png

Since your weapon damage and modifiers aren't scaling/increasing every level, but monster attacks ARE getting nastier and more diverse, it'll become a curse.

P.S. I've been playing the same game and passed on that.

Spohedus

Explorer
I don't even think it works in Odyssey (other than the joy of seeing big numbers at the cost of more loading screens). I got that same item this past week playing through the game, and the first time I accidentally caught fire.....loading screen!

Same thing in D&D...you made your fireball save....and still dropped.

Zardnaar

Legend
Negative. At first, it'll feel like this.

View attachment 131822

At levels 1-2, this would be great. Most monsters will have a relatively harder time hitting you, and one hit with a double-damage weapon will destroy most foes.

After that, it'll feel like this.

View attachment 131823

Since your weapon damage and modifiers aren't scaling/increasing every level, but monster attacks ARE getting nastier and more diverse, it'll become a curse.

P.S. I've been playing the same game and passed on that.

I found 4 builds it worked on (level 99 nightmare difficulty).

1. Sneak assassin.
2. Hunter
3. Tank warrior built around negating damage.
4. Combo with sword of yumminess (no abilities) assassin.

Won a pitched battle with the sword of yumminess assassin's build.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't even think it works in Odyssey (other than the joy of seeing big numbers at the cost of more loading screens). I got that same item this past week playing through the game, and the first time I accidentally caught fire.....loading screen!

Same thing in D&D...you made your fireball save....and still dropped.

1. Don't get seen.
2. Fire resistence exists.
But yeah high risk high reward.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
In a game where healing potions only cost 50gp, total healing is just a bedtime away, and healing word is a bonus action? Heck yes I would take that deal.

But if the DM is using "gritty realism" variant rules, and nobody in the party has access to healing word? Never in a million years.

Remove ads