• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wouldn't it be nice if cantrips could be cast spontaneously?

Zogg

First Post
Seriously. I mean, they really are the red-headed stepchild of spells. Light. Open/Close. Prestidigitation. Shouldn't a high-level wizard or cleric eventually become so innately familiar with these spells that they become unnecessary to memorize or pray for?

I propose that any spellcaster, upon reaching 10th level, gains the ability to cast any cantrips spontaneously (though never more than their cantrip spell limit). Good idea or no?

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Zogg said:
Seriously. I mean, they really are the red-headed stepchild of spells. Light. Open/Close. Prestidigitation. Shouldn't a high-level wizard or cleric eventually become so innately familiar with these spells that they become unnecessary to memorize or pray for?

I propose that any spellcaster, upon reaching 10th level, gains the ability to cast any cantrips spontaneously (though never more than their cantrip spell limit). Good idea or no?

I feel the no advancement of cantrips is silly and give an extra cantrip slot per level. Generally increasing mastery of basic spells over time instead of one time significant jumps just due to caster level (a feat or prestige class ability would be fine as well IMO).

Perhaps one per x levels would work better for spontaneous cantrip mastery if you want to make it a core class house rule feature.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Wouldn't it be nice if cantrips could be cast spontaneously?

Voadam said:
I feel the no advancement of cantrips is silly and give an extra cantrip slot per level.

That's a really good idea, actually.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Re: Re: Re: Wouldn't it be nice if cantrips could be cast spontaneously?

kreynolds said:
That's a really good idea, actually.

I agree. IMO, it's bad enough you don't get bonus cantrips for high attributes ...

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Wouldn't it be nice if cantrips could be cast spontaneously?

Pax said:
IMO, it's bad enough you don't get bonus cantrips for high attributes ...

Definately. I mean, what were they worried about? That a wizard with a 30 intelligence would flatten the countryside with a crap-load of acid splash spells? At that point, I think the world has far worse things to fear from such a caster. :D

Last edited:

The Little Raven

First Post
I use the Psionic Handbook idea for cantrips... you can cast a number of cantrips per day equal to 3 + class level. All casters can spontaneously cast any cantrip or orison in the PHB, but if choosing a spell from another source, they must prepare it.

MerakSpielman

First Post
I just let them go ahead a cast them spontaniously (arcane and divine both). Hasn't wrecked anything yet. Can't really see how it would.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
We have just landed in House Rules. Everybody leave the plane slowly and orderly now. The management hopes you'll enjoy your stay.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads