Wounds/Conditions rules

Odysseus

Explorer
I've seen quite a few house rules regarding wounding and conditions(broken limbs etc). But not much about when and how they should occur.
The two obvious choices are criticals and massive damage cause wounds. Any other options?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Another variant I've seen is that when you drop to 0 hp or below, you get a wound.

Under my system (still very much a work-in-progress: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/240891-wound-system.html), wounds are usually voluntary on the part of the player receiving them. This is because suffering a wound is a major story element and I want players to retain control of their PC's personal story. (This idea originally came from the upcoming A Song of Ice and Fire RPG from Green Ronin.)

There's also the question: What is the point of getting a wound? What does it add to the game? To me, it adds a trade-off between short-term and long-term damage. Hit points and status effects (dazed, weakened, slowed, etc.) already do a good job of representing short-term injuries. They might cause you to lose the fight, but they go away after a short rest. A wound really shouldn't affect the current combat (at least, not any more so than hit point damage or regular status effects) but may provide a mechanism for hampering the character for a period of days or weeks. (This idea is from Kieth Baker, who was looking for a reason for the healers of House Jorasco to exist in a world where an extended rest cures all wounds.)

-- 77IM

Remove ads