WOW - d20 Modern BoVD - New Covers - What do you think?

MythandLore

First Post
WOW - New Covers - What do you think?

Well?

0786926503.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

0786928360.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

0786928743.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I think they look good.

Last edited:

Moulin Rogue

First Post
BoVD is not as... "real" as I was expecting. Look at that latch thingy on the extreme right and the general sketchiness compared to other books. Oh well, something stitched out of humanoid skin would have been too sick I guess. Doesn't matter, I'll get it anyway!

Moulin Rogue

First Post
As for the Modern book.... the logo is cool (is the red d20 supposed to look "stamped" in? I like that) but I think why I didn't like the picture from first glance is the way that there is a figure on either side pushing my eye out of the cover and not inward. Imagine it with just the one dude, I think it would be more striking. Hope that didn't sound too art critic-y.

Last edited:

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Moulin Rogue said:
As for the Modern book.... the logo is cool (is the red d20 supposed to look "stamped" in? I like that) but I think why I didn't like the picture from first glance is the way that there is a figure on either side pushing my eye out of the cover and not inward. Imagine it with just the one dude, I think it would be more striking. Hope that didn't sound too art critic-y.

Not only that, but the punk girl with the shotgun and the Keds shouldn't have her back turned to the "camera". And the shouting fellow doesn't seem to match the grim toughness of the other two figures. I kind of like the cover, but I'd tend to agree with the "just the guy in the middle" idea.

Unless the BoVD cover is just a concept drawing, I'd have to say it's rather "cartoony" in camparison to other WotC D&D hardcovers.

The Spider Queen cover is beatiful.

Eternalknight

First Post
The Book of Vile Darkness' cover is different from all 3rd edition stuff so far (cartoonish, as someone put it) but I like it alot. D20 Modern... well I don't know, it seems very plain and boring to me. City of the Spider Queen is just plain fantastic.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Eternalknight said:
The Book of Vile Darkness' cover is different from all 3rd edition stuff so far (cartoonish, as someone put it) but I like it alot.

You see I think that's the thing that bothers me about it... If it was cartoonish in its own way, it wouldn't be so bad. But its trying to emulate the "ancient tome" style of the other core rulebooks in a way that doesn't work very well. It gives the book an amatuerish poseur sort of feel.

The cover either needed to be very different from the other WotC D&D books, or exactly like them. As it is, it looks like a half-assed imitation.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
The Spider Queen looks cool! And the book of Vile Darkness is doing a good job of looking Vile. Can't wait to see the final treatment (it looks like a watercolored version of the way the Core books look now - am I right, or is this the final?).

There's a strong "Charlie's Angels" sort of flair to the Modern book, too. :D After seeing the Shadow Chasers Polyhedron suppliment, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

Remove ads