• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOW - d20 Modern BoVD - New Covers - What do you think?

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I could have done without the drawing (any version of it) altogether though. Perhaps a centre image more like a blueprint/schematic of a modern firearm, a motorcycle, a laptop etc.

I think why they went with what they did is because they wanted to show the mix of stuff this game can be used for. Be it straight up modern action, modern fantasy or near future stuff.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Tsyr said:
I dont know who did the d20 modern cover for sure, but the art looks A LOT like the art on the cover of my Feng Shui book... even has the "three person" pose... and the style is so dang similar...

I knew it reminded me something!!!!

It's almost identic to Feng Shui cover...
Three heros, two guys one girl, the girl on the right...
:eek:

Carnifex

First Post
Harlock said:
Book of Vile Darkness looks neither vile nor dark, though it does resemble a book.

For some reason, that comment really tickled me :D Very humorous ;)

I definitely prefer the second d20 modern cover - much better...

The Traveler

First Post
You should take into account that the Book of Vile Darkness is far enough off that what we see here is probably just a mock-up. They'll likely do the real one up with the arts-and-crafts treatment the others got.

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Well, the artist's signature on the D&D Modern is "Johnson." I definitely recognize the signature as being the work of a comic book illustrator. I don't remember his first name, or what company he worked for, though I think it might have been Image.

And speaking of covers....
:)

Mark Plemmons
Kenzer and Company
www.kenzerco.com

Attachments

• kok_vdh_cov_sm.jpg
    kok_vdh_cov_sm.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 203

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
The WoTC covers all stink, IMO. :D

The BoVD is too cartoony and therefore, lame, especially for a book about EVIL.

The d20 Modern cover logo is cool, but the art is again, too cartoony and the people pictured are not attractive to look at! Ugly people don't sell anything but weight loss and plastic surgery products, LOL, because nobody wants to look at them. Yeah, I know I'll get flamed for saying so, but that doesn't make it any less true. ;)

The City of the Spider Queen's art is technically superb--however, there are no hot drow babes on the cover and therefore I don't like to look at it (too ugly!). I want a cover like Keith Parkinson's big-busted drow babes on the rerelease of GDQ. Now that gets my juices flowing and my wallet open. Ugly girls don't sell. Sheesh, c'mon, WoTC!
----------------------------
Mark--The Villain Design Handbook cover is great (I really like that artist's work), except that the villain looks dorky, with a more"Ow! I stubbed my toe!" than an "I want to murder your entire family in cold blood and rule the world" expression on his face. For godsakes, get the artist to change that guy before you publish!

Last edited:

Skarp Hedin

First Post
Well, I kind of like the BoVD cover, I think the Spider Queen cover is pretty good, very much in like with the new FR cover art. The d20 Modern cover is pretty boring.

The Villain Design Handbook is nice, Mark, except that, as Kapt. Kantrip mentioned, the villain looks dyspeptic, rather than villainous.

He sort of looks like Hugo Weaving customarily looks: "Oh! I am about to crap, vomit, and sneeze all at the same time!

The Traveler

First Post
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
The WoTC covers all stink, IMO. :D

The BoVD is too cartoony and therefore, lame, especially for a book about EVIL.
Like I said, it's probably not the final cover. It's slated for an October release, and we almost never see final covers that early. Probably around July or August we'll see the real cover that the illustration shown there is a mock-up design guide for.

Remove ads