D&D 5E Wow! No more subraces. The Players Handbook races reformat to the new race format going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HammerMan

Legend
The flaw here is rolling.

No serious discussion can take place if we a rolling stats. :)
my group was pretty much done with rolling in 3.5... by the end we had all sorts of weird house rules to keep the game going, and when 4e came out it was the only thing that brought us back to D&D (we had just given up on it) and stats was a big one. Now the 4e/PF spread split us a bit and the PF group did roll for a bit, but now in unified 5e we all use arrays and PB (sometimes we do different arrays though).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, because you still have the +2/+1. (They were never called "racial bonuses" in the first place, so they haven't even been renamed.)
"RACIAL TRAITS

The description of each race includes racial traits that are common to members of that race. The following entries appear among the traits of most races."

"ABILITY SCORE INCREASE

Every race increases one or more of a character's ability scores."
First, declaring that something is a fallacy doesn't actually mean it's wrong.
That's why I explained to you why you were wrong at the same time. ;)
Secondly, are you saying that you literally can't figure out where to put the bonuses without the rules telling you where they go?
I shouldn't have to fix the issue.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
um...I see endurance, I see inner metal, I see sturdy... all that can have many ways to read it that doesn't involve a stat at all.
I thought you might try that argument, so I'm going to quote them again and now add in an additional quote. ;)

"Their courage and endurance are also easily a match for any of the larger folk."

"Dwarves are solid and enduring like the mountains they love, weathering the passage of centuries with stoic endurance and little change."

"The dwarf god Moradin forged the first dwarves in his great workshop, causing them to spring to life from inert metal when he cooled the heated castings with his breath."

"Moradin crafted the dwarves' sturdy bodies, giving them the strength to work for long periods of time."

"His gifts of durability and purpose gave the dwarves all they needed..."

Additional quote...

"CONSTITUTION

Constitution measures health, stamina, and vital force."

I notice that you avoided saying endurance when you point out what those quotes say. Stamina and endurance are synonyms. Weathering the passage of centuries with little change and durability equate to health.

but why do you care what goes into the stats? That is the question I have asked and still don't get. I mean at the end of the day ESPECIALLY if you are rolling (and I don't understand that either) why does it matter how they got the stats?
I've answered this for you multiple times in this thread.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The flaw here is rolling.

No serious discussion can take place if we a rolling stats. :)
And, yet, that's the default method for generating ability scores. 🤷‍♀️

Even taking the Standard Array or Point-Buy Method, players tend to try to mitigate ASIs when playing a class that the race's ASI's don't benefit by placing higher scores in the class' relevant abilities. At that point, racial ASIs are just getting in the way and are a tax for creating a non-optimized race/class combination.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And, yet, that's the default method for generating ability scores. 🤷‍♀️

Even taking a the Standard Array or Point-Buy Method, players tend to try to mitigate ASIs when playing a class that the race's ASI's don't benefit by placing higher scores in the class' relevant abilities. At that point, racial ASIs are just getting in the way and are a tax for creating a non-optimized race/class combination.
Unless you do a racial +2 and a floating +2.

HammerMan

Legend
I thought you might try that argument, so I'm going to quote them again and now add in an additional quote. ;)

"Their courage and endurance are also easily a match for any of the larger folk."

"Dwarves are solid and enduring like the mountains they love, weathering the passage of centuries with stoic endurance and little change."

"The dwarf god Moradin forged the first dwarves in his great workshop, causing them to spring to life from inert metal when he cooled the heated castings with his breath."

"Moradin crafted the dwarves' sturdy bodies, giving them the strength to work for long periods of time."

"His gifts of durability and purpose gave the dwarves all they needed..."

Additional quote...

"CONSTITUTION

Constitution measures health, stamina, and vital force."

I notice that you avoided saying endurance when you point out what those quotes say. Stamina and endurance are synonyms. Weathering the passage of centuries with little change and durability equate to health.
I didn't 'leave out' on purpose... I did only pick out what I thought of as key words... but Okay lets use YOUR key words... Stamina and Endurance. you can give expertise or advantage on rolls to showcase both, you can have them hold there breath an extra minute, you can (as I suggested before) have them heal quicker or easier.

still none of that fluff says "add 2 to Con" at least with elves you have dexterous...but dwarves flavor text is very open.

weathering the passage of centures sounds more to me like how long they live.

I've answered this for you multiple times in this thread.
not once that I have understood your answer. So if you ARE answering you are doing so very cagy... even now looking back all I see is (paraphrase) "Dwarves need +2 or else they are not really tough, and anything else that makes them tough doesn't count"

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
dude, that is salesman talk... nothing is 100% backwards compatible unless nothing changes.

if they update any race, any class, that already is not 100%. if they change nothing why reprint at all? what is the point of surveys if nothing is to be changed?

heck imagine if they (not saying they will or should) they split perception back into spot/listen.... by 1 change to the skill everything gets slightly thrown off... the bigger the change (say new race= heritage format, or making beast master use new rules) it changes more and more in a butterfly effect.

I'm a salesman by trade. I know salesman talk.

WOTC doesn't want to the new versions of the races to obviously outclass the original ones. The updates might be better but they won't invalidate the old ones completely. WOTC doesn't want to make it look like they are power creeping

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, the racial bonus will still need to be mitigated. Besides, that's not even on the table.
It could be, though. We don't know what they are considering and they backed off of alignment removal. This issue is just as big.

As for the racial bonus needing to be mitigated, every stat is useful. By having a +2 for your prime stat, a +2 racial is going to be as good or probably better than a floating +1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads