D&D 5E Wow! No more subraces. The Players Handbook races reformat to the new race format going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I didn't 'leave out' on purpose... I did only pick out what I thought of as key words... but Okay lets use YOUR key words... Stamina and Endurance. you can give expertise or advantage on rolls to showcase both, you can have them hold there breath an extra minute, you can (as I suggested before) have them heal quicker or easier.
You don't seem to be getting the issue here. The issue is NOT whether or not you can come up with a racial ability that goes along with the theme and is not a stat bonus. Dwarves already have one called Dwarven Resilience. The issue is that the key words ALSO describe the constitution score and it's nonsensical for the race not to receive a bonus to the stat which meets the lore exactly.
weathering the passage of centures sounds more to me like how long they live.
No. They don't just weather centuries, which elves also do. Dwarves do it with stoic endurance.
So if you ARE answering you are doing so very cagy... even now looking back all I see is (paraphrase) "Dwarves need +2 or else they are not really tough, and anything else that makes them tough doesn't count"
Dude. There has been nothing cagey about my answers here. I have been very forthright and direct.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Maybe you should stop thinking of it as you lost, and try to look at all the new options you've gained.
Well, they have not included even suggested ASIs for their new races, and plan on updating the rest through 2024. By then, the current books won't even have any suggested ASIs for any race; you'll have to go back to the old books to find them. Add to that the cultural lore they are definitely going to cut from the new PH in keeping with their new "whatever you want" philosophy, and it sure looks like we are losing something.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod note:
It is so rare that I can copy-paste a warning from one thread to another, but here we go...

A couple of you now sound like you are arguing to win semantic technical points, rather than to come to understandings about the game.

This suggests to me that the thread has outlived its usefulness, or a couple of you have pretty much played out what you have to say, and have nothing more constructive to add, but are unwilling to let anyone who disagrees with you have the last word.

That's not a healthy approach to the discussion. Please find a better way.

HammerMan

Legend
I'm a salesman by trade. I know salesman talk.

WOTC doesn't want to the new versions of the races to obviously outclass the original ones. The updates might be better but they won't invalidate the old ones completely. WOTC doesn't want to make it look like they are power creeping
okay but power creep by what scale?

if a ranger (the common easy target) or monk (slightly less common but not by much) are a 4 on a scale from 1-10 and the druid is a 9, then is bringing the ranger and monk up to a 7-8 power creep when it is still lower then the druid? Is giving out expertise to every class (like say all fighters are expertise in athletics, all mages arcane, all clerics religion) but keeping bard getting a few and rouge getting a few moth then bard they can put anywhere (and in the rogue case included in tools) power creep or equalization?

if we change fireball to doing d4's (yes I know never going to happen) so that no other 3rd level spell is out stripped a nerf or a rebalancing?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The issue is that the key words ALSO describe the constitution score and it's nonsensical for the race not to receive a bonus to the stat which meets the lore exactly.

It is nonsensical for a GM-side worldbuilding element to be enforced through player-side mechanics.

It is nonsensical to take general descriptions of a large population, and enforce that on each individual.

Last edited:

HammerMan

Legend
In the game I'm running, one of the warlocks has a 6 Wisdom and it is glorious. He does a good job RPing as well.
wisdom is fun because you can do weirdly off beat wrong things and stick your foot in your mouth and act oblivious like you didn't notice the dragon... lots of fun.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
okay but power creep by what scale?

if a ranger (the common easy target) or monk (slightly less common but not by much) are a 4 on a scale from 1-10 and the druid is a 9, then is bringing the ranger and monk up to a 7-8 power creep when it is still lower then the druid? Is giving out expertise to every class (like say all fighters are expertise in athletics, all mages arcane, all clerics religion) but keeping bard getting a few and rouge getting a few moth then bard they can put anywhere (and in the rogue case included in tools) power creep or equalization?

if we change fireball to doing d4's (yes I know never going to happen) so that no other 3rd level spell is out stripped a nerf or a rebalancing?
Both. They rebalance spells by merging Fireball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads