D&D 5E Wow! No more subraces. The Players Handbook races reformat to the new race format going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
There is nothing in the giff race as presented in the UA this thread is ostensibly about that represents them being tough. That's all I'm talking about. Certainly you can do stuff to make your giff tough, but under these rules the things you can do have nothing to do with it being a giff.
Hippo Build screams "tough", to me. Big guy that can shrug off most shove and grapple attacks, and is doubly better at them than most people. I don't like the mechanic, but I certainly don't get the "these UA Giff aren't tough!!!" complaint.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
You are mistaken, what you are doing now is "pounding it into shape". And that you would never have thought about playing something not optimal means that the problem is you and not ASI.
LOL. I am not even the tiniest bit an optimizer. Not even a little. I'm a storyteller.

But I'm done with this tangent. I don't feel a need to talk to people who like to throw around "the problem is you" - type arguments. Have a nice day.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You are mistaken, what you are doing now is "pounding it into shape". And that you would never have thought about playing something not optimal means that the problem is you and not ASI.
Mod Note:

Making things personal is a good way to stir up trouble. “The problem is you” is a good way to make it personal. Please rethink using phrases like that, as in don’t.

And what would have prevented you from doing exactly that with fixed ASI and your ability array? When you put your two highest abilities into int and wis you would still have a old wise guy. Who would also still be a Giff with his racial ASI and thus different from an old wise dwarf/elf/halfling.
In point buy or standard array, you both proved how meaningless ASI are.
It just does not matter at all. The best you get is a 5% higher chance to succeed for a few levels... I also do prefer advantage on dexterity or strength ability checks or +1 hp per level. Those things are significant bonuses and stay forever.

There is a reason 5e strictly discriminates between attacks, savings throws and ability checks. Having races lean more into the exploration or social pillar makes the game better.
A wood elf is still naturally stealthy and fast, no need for a dex bonus.

Ixal

Hero
In point buy or standard array, you both proved how meaningless ASI are.
It just does not matter at all. The best you get is a 5% higher chance to succeed for a few levels... I also do prefer advantage on dexterity or strength ability checks or +1 hp per level. Those things are significant bonuses and stay forever.

There is a reason 5e strictly discriminates between attacks, savings throws and ability checks. Having races lean more into the exploration or social pillar makes the game better.
A wood elf is still naturally stealthy and fast, no need for a dex bonus.
Wood Elves are also naturally dexterous. Or rather they used to be.
And an "old wise" wood elf with his highest abilities in int and wis would still be more dexterous than a "old wise" dwarf.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The ship on racial ASI has long sailed...

The funny bit being that folks griping about it can generally still have those ASIs in the way they are used to. The general population of the various races can be built assuming the ASIs of the past, and the old stereotypes they want can still broadly hold in their own worlds. Put the +2 and +1 in the traditional spots, and you are good to go.

It is just that now, individual PCs can choose to hold to those stereotypes, or can buck them without loss of effectiveness.

Because, heavens forefend we write the rules that are more flexible, and allow more people to play how they want...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases