D&D General Www.tsr.com is dead after all these decades

marv

Explorer
Well, it finally happened. Sometime during this pandemic WoTC decided it no longer needed www.tsr.com. I’ve long used it as an easy shortcut to get to the D&D site part of WoTC (even before they were bought by Hasbro). It’s also given me comfort to know that it the website printed on my old books still works.
I don’t know the exact day it died as I get most of my D&D news these days from ENworld. And I know, it’s time for an old grey beard like me to move on. It’s just an URL. But still I’m sad. I hope who ever buys it treats it well.
Edit: I just realized, I don’t have a clue what the real WoTC url for D&D is. Ugh. Google is my friend I guess.

Last edited:

Orcslayer78

Explorer
"True fans?" There is no One True Way, and you are not the arbiter of fandom.
It's time for all the true fans of D&D to step back from Wotc while it spits on the grave of Gary Gygax, there are other ways to play without supporting Wotc, true fans can play old school of buy from studios who make 5e compatible products and want to keep it true.

marv

Explorer
As the OP, can I request we stay on topic.

I remember about a year after WoTC bought TSR and they were going to make their grand announcement on their website for 3rd Ed. Their website had a countdown clock. Then, when the timer to 3rd editon reached zero, their site crashed because too many people where were waiting to learn about it. I remember repeatedly typing “tsr” in the address bar trying to recover but the site was down hard.

i think really the saddest part about now loosing my tsr short cut is that I can no longer jump onto a someone else’s PC or device I don’t own and quickly navigate to the web page. It was useful.

Wishbone

Paladin Radmaster
As the OP, can I request we stay on topic.

I remember about a year after WoTC bought TSR and they were going to make their grand announcement on their website for 3rd Ed. Their website had a countdown clock. Then, when the timer to 3rd editon reached zero, their site crashed because too many people where were waiting to learn about it. I remember repeatedly typing “tsr” in the address bar trying to recover but the site was down hard.

i think really the saddest part about now loosing my tsr short cut is that I can no longer jump onto a someone else’s PC or device I don’t own and quickly navigate to the web page. It was useful.

Given WotC has DungeonsandDragons.com redirect to the homepage but not DND.com I'm wondering what the hesitation on getting domain name redirects is. Maybe they're more expensive than I would expect.

marv

Explorer
To be honest, I don’t recall what the original tsr web page looked like, though I’m certain I frequented it. Would love a link to any pics or archives of it.

I do recall vividly the day when the WoTC site became only a minor site for me to visit. It was the day they disabled their message board and it was suddenly no longer a community. Fortunately, I was already a fan of ENWorld, which for me has carried the D&D community banner ever since.

Think what you want

Considering 99 percent of your recent posts are negative statements about the direction WoTC is taking with race, inclusivity and so forth on those threads, then yeah. I'll think that.

In case thinking wasnt enough, there are also these posts by you to confirm my suspicions:

The future of WOTC adventures will be about unicorns and flowers and campaing and making friends, so to not leave traumas to their new sensible fan base (aka the twitter vocal minority mob).

Wow, I've never seen a whole royal flush of victim cards before.

So now dungeons will be required to have accessibility ramps together with stairs?

...It's exactly what I predicted in the post about D&D and diversity, once you bend the knee to extremists they smell weakness and they keep coming to ask for more changes and censorships. Extremists are never satisfied, they want only the complete desctruction of an hobby finding every small invented reason to be outraged.

So it's not really me 'thinking' anything. You've outed yourself long ago.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases