• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

+X items for casters?

nathreet

First Post
I've been working on a system to eliminate +X items from the game by giving each class flat +X bonuses instead. So the end effect is the same, it just happens during level up instead of looting. I think I'm all set for martial characters and skillmonkeys, but what about casters? What +X items would be good for them? Every class uses stat boosters, but how do I balance the bonuses to casters against other things? I'd like to match the gp value of the bonuses to other classes to keep it balanced.

Jack Simth

First Post
I've been working on a system to eliminate +X items from the game by giving each class flat +X bonuses instead. So the end effect is the same, it just happens during level up instead of looting. I think I'm all set for martial characters and skillmonkeys, but what about casters? What +X items would be good for them? Every class uses stat boosters, but how do I balance the bonuses to casters against other things? I'd like to match the gp value of the bonuses to other classes to keep it balanced.

For every caster, it's Saves, Constitution, and Primary Casting Stat.

For Arcanists, add Bracers of Armor and Dexterity.

For Divinists, add +X Shield and +X Armor.

You might want to take a look at the Vow of Poverty from the Book of Exalted Deeds - it's fairly similar to what you're looking into, in a lot of ways.

nathreet

First Post
Ya but what +X bonuses can arcane casters use that others cannot? I need something to make up for the armor/shield and weapon.

Or maybe there's some other magic-item equivalent they could get instead?

Jack Simth

First Post
Ya but what +X bonuses can arcane casters use that others cannot? I need something to make up for the armor/shield and weapon.

Or maybe there's some other magic-item equivalent they could get instead?

Everyone wants the same basic abilities boosted. Hit Points (Constitution), AC (Dex, armor, shield, bracers of armor), saves (usually done by way of a Cloak or Vest of Resistance), and primary class attribute (Wisdom for Clerics and Druids, Charisma for Sorcerers and Bards, Intelligence for Wizards, generally either Dexterity or Intelligence for Rogues, usually Strength for Fighters and Barbarians, and so on).

The Full Casters are already the top of the heap in terms of character power past around 10th level (give or take). If you're dumping most of character wealth, you don't really need to worry about them anywhere near as much as you do the Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin, Ranger, and Monk.

nathreet

First Post
Character wealth would still remain 100%. I'd just subtract off the value of the +X bonuses I'm giving the PCs.

All characters want the things you mentioned, but martial classes also want armor/shield enhancement bonuses and weapon enchantments. Skillmonkeys like rogues want the same (though perhaps less of them) and skill boosting items as well. So there's some extra gp value for the martial classes and skillmonkeys. What could I give to casters (beyond the things that every class wants) so they get the same gp value in bonuses?

nathreet

First Post
Ya I was thinking maybe mimicking metamagic rods. But does that limit the caster's options too much?

What else could I give him? Pearl of power or ring of wizardry equivalents? The option to pick from among all 3?

I'm hoping for something that, like the stat boosters, is almost essential for casters. I don't want to limit player options too much when I take away +X items. Do all (well-optimized) casters always get meta-magic rods?

Remove ads