X-Men Legends

Ah well...seems like there's never any love for Angel. Of course, I don't even remember him being in the Ultimates at this point either(I could be wrong, I've only kept up with it distantly), so its even less of a surprise.

Jeremy

Explorer
Angel was slated. Largely because as one of the original members, Raven felt he deserved to be there. But with so many other people that had tremendous powers AND could fly, Angel in play testing turned out to be very unattractive, and so was replaced with Jubilee.

There were quite a few Archangel abilities they came up with, but Angel didn't have the mechanics to fit right for a couple reasons.

Maybe the sequel will fix this and a couple other things (noteably the low costume count, almost zero benefit to beating the game, and lack of the ability to go back and play completed missions in maybe danger room sims or such).

Jeremy said:
Angel was slated. Largely because as one of the original members, Raven felt he deserved to be there. But with so many other people that had tremendous powers AND could fly, Angel in play testing turned out to be very unattractive, and so was replaced with Jubilee.

There were quite a few Archangel abilities they came up with, but Angel didn't have the mechanics to fit right for a couple reasons.

Maybe the sequel will fix this and a couple other things (noteably the low costume count, almost zero benefit to beating the game, and lack of the ability to go back and play completed missions in maybe danger room sims or such).
...never liked Jubilee that much in the first place, now just one more reason to crusade against her! ;) Though I really would like to see Angel...not Archangel(well, at least let him be Angel for a while first). I think I may be the only one who really likes the original Angel a lot.

Jeremy

Explorer
Plenty of people like him, that's why, good or no, they are going to have to put him in the sequel. And even with as weak as he turned out, they were still considering putting him in until the end. It's just a matter of, as he was written, he didn't have any powers. He could just fly. His "secondary mutation" gimmick is nice I guess, but the very fact that he has one is a tell.

In my opinion, "secondary mutations" were only invented to add depth or interest to characters that lacked one or both. You'll note Cyke, Storm, Rogue, Wolvie, etc... None of them have secondaries. :)

Ah well, getting way off topic. :)

fba827

Adventurer
Brother Shatterstone said:
"Secondary mutations?" are you speaking of in the game or simply in general, as in the comic book?

He's talking about in general, as in the comic books (explaining why, in the video game, Angel wouldn't have many powers beyond just flight since the video game does not include second mutation stuff). Where as there are several other playable characters that have flight and a whole lot more (Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue - hmm, he would be the only one with flight abilities AND a peni.... ah, never mind :D ).

fba827

Adventurer
Brother Shatterstone said:
Thought so... :) So what's a "secondary mutation" or is that just a term for reinventing the character?

Well, I don't read the comics, so my response is based soley on "what I heard and understood from someone else"

Basically, yeah - reinvented the character a little in terms of power/ability. Their x-gene (that gives mutants their abilities) goes through a second mutation that changes the character even further than the initial mutation. As someone else mentioned in this thread, it was basically to give more life to the characters that were getting little attention/spot light due to the lack of (or declining) interest in the original character.... something like that anyway.

Remove ads