• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

X5: To the Temple of Death - IC

Dragonwriter

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
I don't think there's much else we can do... We can try again the next night, but I don't think we could postpone such action any more.
[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
ooc: OK. It's a commonly discussed situation that the rules don't really cover: Do you get a surprise round if you suddenly attack someone who knows you're there?

I'll go with the following: Aram can make a Bluff check, opposed by Remus' Sense Motive. The rest of the party can distract Remus, which amounts to using Aid Another to try to add to Aram's check. (Aram might get a circumstance bonus on the check if Rhun comes up with something good :) )

If Aram wins the check, he gets a surprise round and can take a standard action. If not, I'll roll initiative normally, using Aram's modifier. If the PCs lose initiative, then potentially Remus can guess what's going on and can attack pre-emptively or take other action.

Sound fair?

BTW, I'll assume that Father Fuller has discreetly healed any hp damage you may still have had from the previous fight.

[sblock=map]
Code:
TTTT...~~~~...TTTTTTT
TTTT...~~~~...TTTTTTT
TTTT...~~~~...TTTTTTT
TTTT...~~~~....TTTTTT
TTTT...~~~~....TTTTTT
TTTT...~~~~A.R..TTTTT
TTTT...~~~~......TTTT
TTTT...~~~~G.J...TTTT
TTTT...~~~~......TTTT
TTTT...~~~~.F....TTTT
TTTT...~~~~...T..TTTT
TTTT...~~~~.....TTTTT
TTTT...~~~~...TTTTTTT

A = Aram
G = Girgal + Ripclaw
J = Jex

EE
EE = Eissun (hidden underground)

F = Fuller

R = Remus

~~ = river
T = trees
[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
ooc: Maybe Eissun should do the first attack. Would be really surprise to be attacked from a shadowy creature hiding in the ground itself. Maybe Remus will think at first that the hounds had returned.

Dragonwriter

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Looks fair to me. And yeah, we could have Eissun do the first shot as a Fly-by from underground. Now that's surprising! ;)

(Jex would just have to cloak the area in shadows, first, so Eissun can hit better. Shadow Mastery is a nice thing.)
[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
OOC: Sounds fair, unless the others really want to do something else.

Aram's Bluff Check is +5. Initiative modifier +5

kinem

Adventurer
[sblock=map]
Code:
TTTT...~~~~...TTTTTTT
TTTT...~~~~...TTTTTTT
TTTT...~~~~...TTTTTTT
TTTT...~~~~....TTTTTT
TTTT...~~~~..A.TTTTTT
TTTT...~~~~..R..TTTTT
TTTT...~~~~......TTTT
TTTT...~~~~G.J...TTTT
TTTT...~~~~......TTTT
TTTT...~~~~.F....TTTT
TTTT...~~~~...T..TTTT
TTTT...~~~~.....TTTTT
TTTT...~~~~...TTTTTTT

A = Aram
G = Girgal + Ripclaw
J = Jex

EE
EE = Eissun (hidden underground)

F = Fuller

R = Remus

~~ = river
T = trees
[/sblock]

The morning is chilly and overcast, as the party prepares to continue its journey down the riverbank. "We'll be in Greatrealm by nightfall" Remus notes.

But Aram has other plans. As Jex starts to say something about shadows, Aram sneaks around Remus and thrusts a scimitar at him! The blade draws blood, though Remus is a skilled enough fighter to bend away from the blow to protect himself.

ooc: PCs to act

Walking Dad

First Post
Girgal, AC 23 (T15, FF20), HP 66/66, F +11,R+8,W+14
Ripclaw HP 57/57

Girgal reacts instantly, weaving magic to harden his and Ripclaw's skin, as the scaled beast does it's signature move: the Leaping Pounce

[sblock=ooc]

Girgal casts barkskin and shares with Ripclaw
Ripclaw charges:
2 Claws +7 melee (1d6+4 plus poison) and bite +2 melee (1d6+2) and tail + 2 melee (1d6+2 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Leaping pounce, poison (DC 14 1d6 Dex/1d6 Dex), rake 1d6+3
(All attacks gain an additional +2, because of the charge)

----

Ripclaw: Hide+15, Move Silently+10

Will use the Summon feat for flavor in out-of-combat situation, alternating between different elements.

Spot +17, Listen +18

Spells:
0 (6) - cure minor wounds x2, light x2, detect magic x2
1 (4) – (jump), produce flame x2, vigor (lesser) x2 - faery fire,
2 (4) - (spiderclimb), barkskin x2, animalistic power, blinding spittle – snake swiftness, mass
3 (3) – (protection from energy), SNA 3, blindsight – greater magic fang
4 (2) – (freedom of movement), blast of sand, enhance wildshape – SNA 4
5 (2) - (SNA 5), baleful polymorph - animal growth

Ripclaw has:
HP 57 (-)
AC: (with barkskin) 30 (T15, FF25)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +7 melee (1d6+4 plus poison) and bite +2 melee (1d6+2) and tail + 2 melee (1d6+2 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Leaping pounce, poison (DC 14 1d6 Dex/1d6 Dex), rake 1d6+3
Hide+15, Move Silently+10
[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
Aram smiles grimly as Ripclaw charges into combat, positioning himself to take the best advantage of his companion's attack. He whips his scimitars at Remus in rapid succession, hoping to put the doughty warrior down quickly. "Nothing personal, Remus," says the dervish, "But we cannot allow you to reach The Master."

AC: 25, HP: 82/82

5' step to FLANK, Full Attack (4 attacks, and notes below include "+2" flanking bonus and +3d6 sneak attack damage)

+13/+8 Scimitar +1, holy (1d6+4 [+2d6 vrs evil] + 3d6 sneak attack, 18-20/x2)
-- AND --
+13/+8 Scimitar +1, holy (1d6+4 [+2d6 vrs evil] + 3d6 sneak attack, 18-20/x2)

This is the kind of fight Aram was designed to shine in...4 attacks for a potential 6d6+4 per attack. :)

Dragonwriter

First Post
Jex stomps the ground, then makes a quick motion with his hand, pulling strands of pure dark from his own shadow. They coalesce into a sheathe of darkness around his hand, which he then whips at Remus, even as the shadowcaster steps a little further away.

Eissun springs up above ground and the elemental almost looks like it is violently exhaling. Of course, since it doesn’t breathe, no air comes out. Instead, darkness pour forth from the elemental, covering Remus and blocking the warrior’s sight.

[sblock=OOC]
Jex uses Reach Umbral Touch on Remus, then takes a 5-ft. step backwards (south, I guess). Eissun flies aboveground and uses his dusk and dawn Su ability to cause some shadowy illumination, centered on Jex’s new space. It should catch Remus in the effect, leave Aram out, but I can’t avoid Ripclaw and Girgal. Thankfully, darkvision beats these shadows, so Jex, Eissun and Ripclaw won’t have any trouble.

Jex Ranged Touch: +7 touch for 5d6 damage and DC 20 Fort save or be slowed, as the spell. (I would use IC, but my computer and IC are not getting along lately.)

Jex AC 18, HP 59/59
Fundamentals (usable 3 each): Caul of Shadow, Black Candle, Arrow of Dusk (x2)
Lvl 1 Apprentice Mysteries (2 per day each): Life Fades, Carpet of Shadow
Lvl 2 Apprentice Mysteries (2 per day each): Flesh Fails, Black Fire
Lvl 3 Apprentice Mysteries (2 per day each: Umbral Touch (used 1), Clinging Darkness
Lvl 4 Initiate Mysteries (1 per day each): Shadow Evocation, Warp Spell

Eissun AC 12, HP 75/75
[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
Girgal's monstrous mount charges Remus, striking him with both claws.

Aram manages to hit Remus twice more, even though Remus seems able to react to his blows in spite of the surprise nature of the attack.

Remus, bleeding, looks to be in bad shape now. Though, curiously, the expression on his face has not changed; it shows neither shock nor pain.

Jex's shadow whip strikes Remus even as Eissun's gloomy breath envelops him, Ripclaw and Girgal. (ooc: Ripclaw has low-light vision, not DV.)

Father Fuller casts a ray of searing light into the gloom at Remus, but misses.

Finally, just barely surviving the party's combined assault, Remus has a chance to react. "You saw my nature? I meant no harm! Stop!" he shouts, angrily.

Despite the shadows, you see a strange thing:

Suddenly, Remus has no face! His entire head is smooth, like an egg. The sight fills you with unnatural fear!

[sblock=fear]Aram and Jex become frightened, and must flee while it lasts. The others (including Eissun and Ripclaw) are shaken, and take a -2 penalty to most d20 rolls.[/sblock]

Remus grabs one of his greatswords, and using a two-handed grip, strikes Aram with it. (ooc: 11 damage) You notice that he is moving much more slowly than usual, probably due to Jex's magic.

ooc: PCs to act (see fear above)

Remove ads