• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Xanathar Previews: Random Encounters & Character Names

I really thought people would have found this interesting. I noticed Mehen's name.

I really thought people would have found this interesting.

I noticed Mehen's name.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As is now traditional, WotC is involved with the Extra Life charity event. They stream hours of live D&D gaming in an attempt to raise money for the children's hospital charity, and to help encourage that they unlock sneak peaks of upcoming D&D books. So far this year, they have unlocked some material from the upcoming Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

XL2017_DnD_Avatar.jpg

So far, you can check out a downloadable art gallery from Tomb of Annihilation, some random encounters from Xanathar's Guide, and a list of suggested character names from that same book. Next to be unlocked, when they raise $20K, is a list of sample life events for characters, followed by a list of new wizard spells, a subclass preview, and more.

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 18.03.10.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 18.02.55.png

Attachments

• XL2017_DnD_Avatar.jpg
    XL2017_DnD_Avatar.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 23,880
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 18.02.55.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 18.02.55.png
    257.7 KB · Views: 18,746
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 18.03.10.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 18.03.10.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 10,933
Last edited by a moderator:

dave2008

Legend
I like this:

Arctic Encounters (Levels 17-20)

"81-90 1d10 frost giants with 2d4 polar bears"

and

"00 1 ancient white dragon with 1d3 young white dragons."

This could be fun!

SuperTD

Explorer
The ToA art is already accessible, this is just a different format for it. The random encounter tables are fine, but nothing exciting. The only random encounters I have liked are the ones from Out of the Abyss, where you can combine a random group of monsters with a terrain type - that produces interesting situations.

As for the Dragonborn names, it seems like a bit of a waste of space to me. A lot of them, particularly the family names, just seem to be a random set of letters shoved together. There are better name generators online.

However, I think when spells and table of contents comes out, that'll get people talking.

ChapolimX

Explorer
Instead of random encounter tables and character names on XGtE I think it would be way more useful if they included a table of Challenge Rating effects of monster features introduced in VGtM and perhaps other sources.

The Old Crow

Explorer
How to make a female name for any species:Take pretty much anything, slap an "a" on the end. Sooo much lazy.

Still looking forward to Xanathar's, though.

Remove ads

Remove ads